Nickel-plated cases?

The little red box that started it all!
Lufbery
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Nickel-plated cases?

Post by Lufbery »

Hi all,

Quick question: is there any issue reloading nickel-plated cases in a Lee Loader?

Thanks,
-Drew
Guinearun
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Nickel-plated cases?

Post by Guinearun »

I have had no issues in any lee loader with plated cases. I have had issues with NP cases not holding a crimp as well with 40 or 45. In 25 to 9mm , how ever it seems to have no effect on crimp. One of the old guys may have more revelation?
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

By the way Lufbery I’m only approaching the big 50 , loading since the 90’s. You have guys on here loading when I was a kid. You asked the right guys!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Never had a problem with plated cases holding a crimp in 38spec, because everything
I loaded was cast, usually 148gr button nose wad cuters.
Have had some trouble with plated cases in ground pounder H110 & heavy XTP's hunting loads in .357 holding a crimp?? & I do not get shy about crimping...
Never had a problem with brass??
You'll be ok with with plated in your Lee Loader. If I find any with the plating
Coming off, I toss 'em, but thats just me..

" OLD GUYS " ??? I resemble that remark dude.. Besides that, your not that far
behind !!!! :D :D
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Having reach 3/4 of a century last August and a reloader since '67 (19) I guess I can qualify as an old guy. I shot a lot of plated 357 in my Contender back when the 357 barrel was my production jun in IHMSA shooting, heavy bullets and heavy charges of H110. I'd start seeing mouth cracks at the 4th or 5th loading and after 6 or so the plating would start coming off. I always blamed it on the heavy charges until I switched to plain brass and was getting anywhere from 8 to 10 loadings and usually by then the primer pockets were getting loose and I'd start with a new batch of cases. The plated cases always "felt" harder to me when they were being resized. Just the sense that it took more muscle to size them.
Since I bought the Rossi '92 in 357 I've dug out some of those left over cases and after one medium hot loading the remaing plated cases went in the trash. Some of the older plain brass are still going strong.
A lot of this is highly subjective so take as intended as observations comparing plated to plain in my guns and my loads.

Make smoke and happy Thanksgiving,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

When I started reloading 38 Special in '69, I gleaned some brass from the local police range, and about 50% were nickel plated 38 and 357 Magnum. Since that time I have been reloading nickel plated handgun brass (and a very few .223) using the same methods as plain nekkid brass cases. I have not experienced the "shorter case life" nor flaking or "harder resizing". I have reloaded some 38 cases so many times the plating has worn and brass shows through...

I have some Federal nickel plated 44 Magnum brass that I keep separate for my T-Rex Killer loads (265 gr RNFP over max loads of WC820) and now have 6 reloadings on them and they look brand new...
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Use NP in 308, 45 Auto and 38/357. Can't say I have noticed any difference from brass except they look prettier on the gun belt.
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

I knew you would like the old guy comment! LOL I agree with the limited life of NP as well. Thought it was just me. Never loaded much 38 , good knowledge to store. Thanks happy thanksgiving everyone!
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

Keep in mind guys I even at my age ( ha ha) I still shoot competitions. Head to head often. So I load quantities not for pounding. I get on average over recommended loading on case. But I do keep lot numbers. 12 to 15 cycles is average at moderate pressures . If power factor is a requirement I will use once fired brass. After 12 to 15 cycles you feel primer pocket swelling, depending on quality of brass manufacturer. I agree it is depending on quality of brass , cycles reloaded , and pressure. All good info.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

You can also add in chamber size and head space. If the cases are "swelling" or stretching due to chamber dimensions you'll have shorter case life.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Lee Loader®”