What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've never shot any Ramshot powders. Bet the bullet shoots good.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yesterday the air temp was right and there was a bit of a breeze so I got the pot out to break in the new mold. It's a Lee 379250. Digging around for alloy I found about 12 pounds of wheel weight so used the 10 pound pot and started casting. Once mold temp and mix temp got into agreement it throws nice bullets. I don't inspect too carefully while I'm casting and just throw back the obvious defects. When all was said and done I brought 65 bullets in to the bench and only rejected 7 mostly due to wrinkles. A random sample of 10 were weighted and were with in .2 grain of 252 grains and all miced at .380. They've been sized and lubed in the 4500 with home made Emmerts. So time to load a short ladder with H4198 and see if they shoot worth a darn.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I started casting with my new Lyman Sabot Slug mold. I didnt have a chance to get to it for a few days so I dropped it in some clean mineral spirits to soak. I got the mold out, found handles to work, squirted well with brake clean and heated the mold. I got the mold nice an hot on my hot plate, got my "soft" alloy up to 700 degrees and started casting. I had no trouble with the HB pin (I just tapped it with my mallet after I cut the sprue and most of the time it loosened up OK.). The very first slugs looked good with a dull finish, not frosted, just dull with sharp corners. I cast about 50 and stopped (dinner was on the table). Later I checked the slugs and noticed on three or four a hollow cavity in the base. All were in the same location, a pin hole in the bottom of the HB cavity. I'll review and try again. Otherwise it went well...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another slug caster, actually a bullet. The hog-killing the other night got me all fired up with the slug shooting. I cast a 98 Accurate 73-470S full bore bullets.

Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”