Open forum for shotguns.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Rock Island Pump Gun and Load All II

Post by Ranch Dog »

There are three things I would recommend for the Load-All II:
  • The discontinued primer feeder. I've had one from the get go and have never had an issue with it. It has saved me a lot of fumbling with the individual primers. Not sure why Lee discontinued it.
  • Download the template for the wood base that mates the LAII with the Lee Bench Plate. I came up with my own fix for the plate, but the simple ¾" plywood or a hardwood block is a lot easier. I bought the wood stock six months ago, and I'm going to pull the table saw out this morning and get this done.
  • Check out my instructions for drilling a powder and shot drain hole in the lid: How To Empty Load-All II Powder & Shot Hoppers
Personally, I cannot say enough about this press and it has definitely stood the test of time. The only suggestion I've come up with for the Load All III, besides offering the primer feeder again, is with the fold and crimp stations. I can see those three dies sitting inside a molded sleeve rather being fixed. They could be locked in their present positions or lowered in three ⅛" intervals. That would fix the variations of the column stacks that prevent star crimps from closing. I currently make these adjustments with nitro cards of various thicknesses. A 20G overshot card on the top of the folded star, once at the last station, creates a professional looking seal. The card does not stay with the hull; it is used to uniform the outside of the star.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Thanks Mike. I am a total newby for scatter gunning, know nuttin'. I had a Ithaca 37 20 ga. about 45 years ago but it went away. I was able to hit jackrabbits with it, but that's all. I haven't done any shot gunning what so ever, and concentrated on center fire shooting/reloading. I'm waiting for my Load All to figger out my next step. I haven't even seen one in real life (there isn't any around here at any gun shop/store)!

BTW the video doesn't work for me...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think I accidentally deleted that video from YT.
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

Oops! :shock:
mikld

Post by mikld »

Yep, pretty relaxing here and no unnecessary complaints about a specific tool manufacturer. Nothing is worse than a person that gets emotional over their hate for inanimate objects. I had another experience with a "Lee Hater" yesterday. In my experience and with a background of a life long machinist/mechanic I've not been able to duplicate some of the complaints made by the haters. I've come to the conclusion that most cannot/do not read instructions and are so mechanically challenged that a claw hammer is a complex machine, and impossible to use...

If this is considered a rant, just delete it, please...
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

+1
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter