Browning A5 for 3 gun comps.

Open forum for shotguns.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Browning A5 for 3 gun comps.

Post by Fyodor »

Macd wrote:Sadly shotgun barrels can not be shipped out of the US except with an export permit issued by the US Department of Commerce. Not sure how complicated that is to get.
Not very difficult, but with permits, shipping, customs and taxes (we pay a 20% import fee on everything, including shipping) it's financially unattractive.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
W.R.Buchanan
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

OH yeah: We have been members since 2006 and have attended about 30 classes in that time. I have DG'd pistol and am close on Rifle and Shotgun. A bunch of different classes along the way.

We did a Rifle Skill Builder on Friday and Saturday before the shotgun class. I had some problems with the trigger on the gun I took and have to figure out a fix for it as it is my Primary Carbine right now. I graduated but just barely and generally sucked the whole time in that class.

I get really fatigued if I don't get acclimated for a couple of days.WE had to leave early the first day cuz I was done!. I sucked the first day, didn't feel horrible the second day, off Sunday, felt great Monday and Tuesday for the shotgun class and all the way thru. Figured out drinking a bunch of Gatoraid and eating a breakfast and a snack for lunch avoided the After Lunch Crash I usually get after a big lunch. You always are fighting Dehydration in the desert, but the Gatoraid helped alot. I ended up drinking a quart on the way there in the morning and then another after lunch. Even picked up another quart on the way home. the stuff goes down pretty well.

Next time I will be leaving a day early so I can get my body sussed out before the class.

Randy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Funny you mention getting acclimated. I had to do the same, being in Pahrump two days early. That gave me time to pick up my ammo shipment the day before and any other gear I had sent out early. I would also have a standdown day on the back side. Leaving on the airliner the day after the standdown was much smoother. That day allowed me to clean my gear, ship my ammo and brass, and generally goof off.

I suspect my Front Sight days are over. The airline stuff, a week there; even thought about driving out now that I'm retired, but the 22-hour trip is not ringing my bell.
Michael
W.R.Buchanan

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

Since you are that far away you need a decent Camper or Motorhome for the trip.That way you can stop at your convenience and be "Home" so to speak. It would also eliminate the need for a Hotel when you get there.
I miss the Big Lance Camper that I had. It had everything I needed, Shower, Toilet, Full Kitchen, TV/VCR, nice Bed and A/C. I spent up to two weeks in it on several Jeep trips. I wish I had it back as I would go to Front Sight more often if I had a place to stay. Love to have another one but it would be a Arctic Fox this time as they are Fiberglass upper and lower tubs and they don't rot or shake apart like the older Lances do. New Lances are $40-50K!

Logistic of Front Sight can be a pain, but the training is worth it. IMHO.

Randy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

W.R.Buchanan wrote:Logistic of Front Sight can be a pain, but the training is worth it. IMHO.
I agree with that, but given the difficulties of getting there, I sure can tell I've aged!

I also considered a camper for my Dodge 2500 five years ago, I'm trying to remember the make and model, but it had everything. Size and weight really don't matter for my truck, it is going to get 8 to 11 mpg no matter if it is toting 21 lbs or 21K lbs. The bottom line was that it was cheaper to buy a small home in Pahrump than face the buy-in with the camper, the 2850 miles required for the trip out and back, and $1000+ for fuel cost. This was one of my motivators for buying a ranch in Alpine, TX as it would cut the drive in half, my wife wasn't having that though.

I'm not sure when I will get back out there.
Michael
AlaskanGuy
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

Wow.. sounded like a great time.. there is nothing like that around here.
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
W.R.Buchanan

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

There is a Front Sight Alaska in Nikiski which is near Kenai. It is only open July thru end of August.

https://www.frontsight.com/alaska/

I have never been, but I'd like to go. This year would be nice.

Randy

Return to “Shotgun Discussions”