Lee dies in Co-Axle press

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee dies in Co-Axle press

Post by Kaiser »

I prefer Lee dies over other brands because of their precise dimensions, "tapered" expanding stems, and ease of getting cases "unstuck" if I make a mistake. Likewise, the "finger" adjusting rings beats the "heck" out of having to use an "allen wrench" to tighten and loosen the rings for adjustment! Which brings me to a subject I read on another site that states, "one must use some other brand of die rings, other than Lee, in a Co-Axle press". I have been using Lee rings in my Co-Axle for decades and have never encountered a problem. Am I misinformed or "functionally" incorrect (I know I'm asking for some rude comments to the latter :oops: )?I realize that using "neck" sizing dies would have little effect in the process if there were any "slop" in holder; however, I have not encountered a problem with "full length" resizing cases either. (I do run all my reloaded ammo through my rifle, especially before a hunt to make sure it functions smoothly and has sufficient room in the magazine.) Thanks.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee dies in Co-Axle press

Post by daboone »

My old Bonaza CO-AX has no problems with Lee dies even their neck sizing dies. I've even used Lee lock rings successfully.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm not sure what difference the brand of press makes. Lee doesn't have lock rings, just big nuts. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I have a fairly new Co-Ax and I did buy several Forster and Sinclair lock rings for my dies, but I still had some Lee dies to use but ran out of Forster rings. None of my reloading, or press use would put too much pressure on the aluminum rings so I removed the O-ring and drilled and tapped the ring for a set screw (nylon tipped). Yes, the rings are narrower than the slot and they will move upward a bit. But, they will move the same distance every time, so there is no variation. I have been using some of my "modified" rings on my Lee dies for several months and several hundred (thousands?) of rounds with no variations, no trouble. I keep fergitin' to buy more Forster rings... :roll:

FWIW; the Lee lock rings work on a "pressure-jam" principle. The nut is finger tightened and the O-ring applies upward force, "jamming" the male/female threads together with enough friction to hold the nut/ring in place. Same principle as a spring washer between the nut and fixture/press surface.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

mikld wrote:FWIW; the Lee lock rings work on a "pressure-jam" principle. The nut is finger tightened and the O-ring applies upward force, "jamming" the male/female threads together with enough friction to hold the nut/ring in place. Same principle as a spring washer between the nut and fixture/press surface.
If you want to secure your Lee Lock Rings, use a Titan Reloading Lock Nut Finger Wrench. I've gotten them so tight that, months or a year later, I'm not so sure I'm going to get them loose when I start trying to remove the die.

Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

If of course your concerned about hard contact between the press , nut and die you can simply flip the nut over and the 0ring becomes a friction device and the nut a solid stop on the press and dies .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld

Post by mikld »

From my last job (heavy construction equipment repair) I have a handfull of 7/8-14 nuts, a few grade 8, in my toolbox. One or two I have drilled and tapped to use as a lock ring where I have room, but during my 25 years on that job I had a lot of formal training, some on fasteners. There's a lot more about bolts nuts, and screws than just "righty tighty, lefty loosy"! :lol:

Return to “Rifle”