Bullet feeder?

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Progressive

Bullet feeder?

Post by Neted »

Ok so I'm priming off press with my loadmaster, that solved my only major problem with the LM. I'd like to add the bullet auto feed to the process. Any problems with this? Do I need to buy a feeder for each caliber or is there something I can change to accommodate various calibers? The auto feeder only mentions pistol caliber does that mean it can't do rifle bullets. Thanks in advance!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bullet feeder?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Neted wrote:I'd like to add the bullet auto feed to the process. Any problems with this? Do I need to buy a feeder for each caliber or is there something I can change to accommodate various calibers? The auto feeder only mentions pistol caliber does that mean it can't do rifle bullets.
I think the issue is clearance (length) so yes, the bullet feeder kits are made for pistol bullets.
Michael
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

Ranch Dog do you know if I can use the same unit for 9mm and .45ACP by changing the arms?
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

The LEE progressive presses aren't really meant to load rifle ammo at all. With the pro1000 you really shouldn't even try it, because it's not the strudiest press out there. The LoadMaster is available in two rifle calibers, I think. And the Case Collator doesn't work well with rifle cases.

The bullet feeder fingers are swappable and have to be chosen for the right diameter and length of the bullet. I htink the longest bullet you could feed are .75" long. I don't know if that's enough for your rifle ammo.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Neted wrote:Ranch Dog do you know if I can use the same unit for 9mm and .45ACP by changing the arms?
The only way to know for sure is to compare the parts from the 9mm Kit that you have, there are three of them, to those in the 45 AC Kit. I was going to do this but the Lee website is running very slow so I gave up.

I did notice on the product page it says specifically that the kits are for "pistol calibers only."
Fyodor wrote:The LEE progressive presses aren't really meant to load rifle ammo at all.
I don't know about that as they list rifle cartridges right along with handguns for the shellplates. I used a #11 to load 444 Marlin cartridges (2.57" OAL). Shell plates like 3, 5, and 8 are rifle only. I didn't use a case feeder or a bullet feeder although I don't see why the bullet feeder would not work. The 1000 is limited to a 2.3125" cartridge overall length and the LM to something near 3.25".

Not sure if I said this in another post but I had purchased these bullet kits and had heck using them, not so much the kits but my cast bullets. No matter what method you use to lube sooner or later you will get trace amounts of lube on the base of a bullet so the bullet below it sticks to it. Same with the sides of the bullet leaving a trace of a lube in the tubes. Once a hangup occurs, everything gets out of sync so I stopped using them.
Michael
moonie

Post by moonie »

Fyodor wrote:The LEE progressive presses aren't really meant to load rifle ammo at all. With the pro1000 you really shouldn't even try it, because it's not the strudiest press out there. The LoadMaster is available in two rifle calibers, I think. And the Case Collator doesn't work well with rifle cases.

The bullet feeder fingers are swappable and have to be chosen for the right diameter and length of the bullet. I htink the longest bullet you could feed are .75" long. I don't know if that's enough for your rifle ammo.
Glad I didn't know this, I load 8x57, 30-06, 6.8SPC, .223/5.56 and 300AAC on my Loadmaster, no issues at all. The case collator does work for 300AAC quite well, the .223/5.56 does need some modification to work well. No, you cannot use the collator with the larger rifle cartridges.

Also note, the Pro1000 can be used to load .223/5.56 and 300AAC quite well.

Return to “Progressive”