What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Macd »

Another box of 45 Colt with the Berry's 230 plated and Trail Boss. Have enough now to make for a couple of days of range time.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Macd wrote:Another box of 45 Colt with the Berry's 230 plated and Trail Boss. Have enough now to make for a couple of days of range time.

when you say "Berry's 230 gr plated", I assume you're talking about "no crimp groove" .45 auto bullets?

Are you able to taper crimp them well enough to avoid bullet set back in a .45 Colt lever gun magazine and bullet jump in a .45 Colt revolver ... without damaging the copper plating?

I'm just curious about the "no crimp groove" plated bullets being used in revolvers and/or lever guns.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Evening Surveyor. My experience with the plated stuff so far, has been pretty good, I have only
used the regular plated, never tried the double plated. I was thinking about trying the regular
plated in 38/357 so messed around with them a bit in 45 ACP.
Just flatten out the case mouth & all was well, as usual.
1/2 a thou roll crimp noticeably marked the bullet.
A full .001 roll crimp severely scored the plating.
So for me, except for light beer can loads in 38 spec, they are a no go in revolver.
I can't remember for sure but, I do believe the double plated had a cannular ??
( However you spell it? )
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks, Larry. I've been pondering with the idea of trying the plated 30-30 bullets, but the idea of no crimp groove (even with low velocity loads) poked into the tube magazine of a 30-30 just doesn't seem appealing. I've shot a few thousand plated .45 acp and 9mm rounds, both X-Treme and Berrys, and am satisfied with them in the semi's. I've yet to try them in any revolver (or 30.30) loads though since there's a lot of other potential candidates.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Surveyor,
I use a taper crimp with the Lee die. I haven't had issues with plating failure or bullet creep. My 45 Colt loads are mid-range and I don't load for rifle or +P. I also use this bullet in 45 ACP in both revolver and in an 1911 without any problems. Berry's says a light roll or taper crimp is okay. I also purchase plated bullets for 38 special/357 mag and 9mm and again the manufacturer recommends a light taper crimp. Some of these loads are at max or in the +P range and so far I have never had a bullet move on me. (Looks for some wood to knock :D ) These are accuracy loads and the crimping hasn't affected groups that I can notice.

As an aside, I make sure all carbon residue is cleaned from the seating area of cases used in revolvers. The carbon acts as a lubricant and can greatly reduce bullet pull. I believe this also improves shot to shot consistency but I really do it to help prevent creep. A stuck cylinder is an experience I never want to repeat.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:As an aside, I make sure all carbon residue is cleaned from the seating area of cases used in revolvers. The carbon acts as a lubricant and can greatly reduce bullet pull. I believe this also improves shot to shot consistency but I really do it to help prevent creep. A stuck cylinder is an experience I never want to repeat.
Great advice!
Michael
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I just got some new pistol powder,BR-5, from Bartlett, and I needed some more ammo for my carbine, so I stuffed about 60 cases. I used a Unique load under a 230 gr. Precision coated RNFP bullet. I'm hoping this load will work well because I got 6 lbs of powder about a shoe box full of 45 ACP cases and 190 more Precision bullets to load. I've used the Precision bullets in my other 45 ACP loads for my handguns with a couple different powders and they work well. Next "experiment" will be with some of my cast 200 gr SWC to see how well they feed in my High Point and if they are accurate...
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

50 rounds of 44 mag
Federal once fired cases
WW LPP
CFE Pistol 10.6
MoBul 240 gr Keith style conventional lube

Will be mostly shot in the lever gun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I made some 300 .38spl on Friday night, when I realized I didn't have enough ammo for Saturday's match.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Bought a pound of HS-6 the other Day...Never Tried It before. Saturday, Loaded up some 9x19 for the P-95,
with the 357-135-FP...Holey Cow! How come Nobody told Me about this Combo!?! Very Nice at 25ft!! :D

Return to “Handgun Reloading”