FCD/Collet Crimp Dies?

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: FCD/Collet Crimp Dies?

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:horseman, that's great info. You always make sense out of making sense. Not to sound mean but it seems like your .357 has a problem if it's that fat. If built to spec would the Lee die work?

I'm nowhere near your knowledge or experience level so I'd like to ask what jacketed bullet fits a loose throat where a .360" lead bullet is required? Also, did you know you needed .360" lead when you tried the Lee die?

Twice now I've written a fairly long dissertation as to my reasons of why and how and both times they disappeared.....to answer your last question about size, no I didn't know what was needed. At the time I purchased these for my wife about 20 years ago my knowledge of shooting cast lead bullets was novice at best. The guns in question are Cimmeron Thunderers made by Uberti. These are copies of the first Generation Colt black powder revolvers and to my understanding were built to those specification. I know there was no such thing as a 357mag in 1873 but they probably were patterned after maybe the 38 colt of the day. Black powder guns of the time were "generous" in their sizing because of the fouling so more than a few rounds could be fired before "wiping" the bore would be necessary (I'm assuming most of this from things I've read) so under today's standards with smokeless powder this would be "oversize" for our components. Hence my 357's have a bore of .358 with cyl's of .359+ a bit, my pin gauges say a .359 will fit a bit loose but a .360 won't fit. The best article(s) I've seen or read about cast shooting is from LASC (Los Angeles Silhouette Club) it should be required reading for anyone wanting to know about shooting cast lead bullets. All my revolvers have been "optimized" for shooting cast bullets from what I've learned and am still learning. Cylinders are larger than bore size, (have had to ream a few of them, especially the early Ruger 45 colts) bullets are sized to cylinders, guns have been fire lapped to remove any constrictions and create a slight taper to the bore. They're accurate and I get no leading and have picked up a bit of velocity over "stock", not much but a bit.

I started using the LCFCD at the time because I wanted to crimp separately from seating because I read on the internet it was superior so it must be true right? Not....Now IF I want to do that I just use another seat die with the seater backed out. I seldom do this anymore because I find it isn't necessary and I can use the "extra" station for something else. I hope this has been of some help. I could write a couple pages on what I THINK I know about this.... :lol: ....+guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have an Uberti clone of a 1875 Remington. After suffering through a jammed cylinder when a lead bullet crept forward I now crimp with a solid roll crimp. I have a four die set so my turret press has all four holes filled.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Macd wrote:I have an Uberti clone of a 1875 Remington. After suffering through a jammed cylinder when a lead bullet crept forward I now crimp with a solid roll crimp. I have a four die set so my turret press has all four holes filled.

I like those models. Never owned one but thought long and hard about a couple back in the day but eventually decided on Ruger Vaqueros instead. Believe me you are not the first nor last to have that issue of bullet jump. I've done it more than once on "heavier" Ruger loads. You don't say what caliber you're shooting but as I said prior there's nothing wrong with the die as long as it just crimps. Works great for that. I crimp hard enough on my reloads that if you run your fingernail down from the ogive towards the base if your nail catches on the case mouth it ain't enough crimp. I want the case mouth all the way in the crimp groove. But that's just me. The CFCD will do that, the Lee collet crimp die will do that and a regular seating die will do that. Dealers choice..... :S
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

mikld wrote:I settled my nomenclature/description issues with Lee crimp dies; I have 3 "collet crimp" dies and the post sizing die I had now resides in a landfill somewhere. Now I just have "crimp dies"...
But we still don't know why you threw it away. +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:
mikld wrote:I settled my nomenclature/description issues with Lee crimp dies; I have 3 "collet crimp" dies and the post sizing die I had now resides in a landfill somewhere. Now I just have "crimp dies"...
I get it though. When you're done with something you are done. That's how I feel about Starline Brass. Cheap pot metal.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:

+of .....sorta...

I'm not sure if you're asking me about throwing the die away. I assure you "twern't" me. I know there are many conditions where that die works just fine and I would find someone to give it to that could use it if I couldn't. Same with the comments I've read where folks hated the LoadMaster press so much they "say" they threw it in the dump or shot it up at the range. Not me, wouldn't do that, I'd find someone who wanted it and had the ability to make it work. Many out there. These comments are not "aimed" at you directly, just stating the way I see things, if it ain't broke I'm not throwing it away. I agree with Ranch Dog, once a guy's (or gal I assume) has had enough of foolin' with something it's time to move on, but that don't necessarily mean throwing it in the garbage.

I would add that if I purchase some "questionable quality" tool, which I have, (I'm a bit of a sucker for "hey that looks pretty cool" stuff) but usually when I'm through trying to get it to work or find it DON'T work, it's usually broken :lol: and I WILL throw it in the garbage.... :D
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

To know whether someone's opinion of a product is helpful to me I need to know why they did or did not like it. I'm not sure how XYZ is garbage or ABC is great without the why is beneficial to anyone. Some explain, some don't.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun”