Just When You Thought It Was Over ~ More Slugmaster

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Just When You Thought It Was Over ~ More Slugmaster

Post by Ranch Dog »

Having pulled two Lightfield Sabot/Slugs from when I tried to shorten the 3" shells, I decided to load them over 25-grains of Universal and roll crimp them. I just want to see if they shoot as tight as their factory ammo does. The hulls crimped sloppy because they had been folded, but I'm going to send them downrange.

Image[hr]With all my internet searching, I had wandered on to Sabot Technologies website. I went back to it and bought 40 of their one and a 1/8-ounce saboted Hammerheads.

Michael
Dannymcmullen
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Just When You Thought It Was Over ~ More Slugmaster

Post by Dannymcmullen »

how did the hammer heads work out and did the previously folded shells effect the roll crimp
An avid reloader is one poor sole
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Hammerheads shot better than anything I've tried so far but I think that I need to shoot them with the rolled crimp. I haven't had any luck with either crimper I have and will hold up on any shooting until my MEC Slugger press arrives.
Michael
W.R.Buchanan
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

MIchael:: can you post some pics of a Lightfield slug taken apart. I'd like to see what the slug itself looks like and how they have the sabot keyed onto the slug itself.

Randy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Randy.

The LF slug has a "keyed" fin on fore and aft, the same on the opposite side of the slug. The sleeve that contains the slug is a "sheet" that has slots for the keys and is joined around the slug with some type of tape. It looks like mylar or something that would not be readily available at your hardware store. The tail feathers have a shaft that fits into the base of the slug.

I do find a few of the sleeves that have come apart, usually laying about 37 yards downrange. I mean a few. Three or four out of the hundred shot. I've never found the tail feathers.

Offhand, I don't think I've found a slug in my berm. I've dug for them and I'm digging so deep that I don't want to start the erosion of my berm so I leave them be.
Michael
W.R.Buchanan

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

Thanks Mike, I see how it is keyed to the sabot. I am assuming the slug is otherwise Cylindrical with the two tabs on each side and then a hole in the back for the wad to insert into.

So the sabot is a two piece affair that is held together with tape?

Powder is Blue Dot, cuz there's Blue Dots in it.

I have thought about using some kind of tape to hold a blue wad together farther down range for like a Lee Slug or a Lyman Sabot Slug trying to get more spin on the boolit.

The Russians use a Wood Screw to attach their wads to their slugs, but they are full bore size..

Haven't figured out how to post pics here yet.

Randy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

W.R.Buchanan wrote:Thanks Mike, I see how it is keyed to the sabot. I am assuming the slug is otherwise Cylindrical with the two tabs on each side and then a hole in the back for the wad to insert into.

So the sabot is a two piece affair that is held together with tape?
Yep, I will get you a picture of it.
W.R.Buchanan wrote:Haven't figured out how to post pics here yet.
https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7
Michael
W.R.Buchanan

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

Here's the Russian Slugs screwed onto the wads. This is also a picture post test.

Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Are you casting these yourself?
Michael
W.R.Buchanan

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

Yes they are from a Russian Paradox Slug mould. There are three base pins. One creates a hole in the end,(585 gr) one makes a hole that receives a plug in wad,( 595 gr) and the last one has a shallow tapered hole in the back . I drill the holes out on the first and third ones and have plug in wads for the second one. The only one that comes out really nice is the last one which is also the heaviest. I drill a hole thru it to take the #8 screw. 690 gr! Those are the ones shown. Still need to be PC'd to bring the OD up to .730. These are Rifled Barrel only.

Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”