Ranch Dog's Savage 99's

Open forum for rifles.
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Ranch Dog's Savage 99's

Post by Et2ss »

The forum won't let me reply to an older thread you made.

Saw the two 99's one in .300 and a newer one in .308

I love the 99's. But alas I only have 1. It is in .300 savage as well (I think it's a 99 "G" model.

All of my other ones re just cruddy old 1899's

The one in the pic with the scope is the Model 99.

There are 2 or 3 others that I don't have pictures of floating around down in my gun room

I have all of the calibres that they were chambered in with the exception of the ever elusive 38-55 though. They can get expensive. (well that and the newer ones in .308 and .243)

The bottom one being the 'Imp' in 22 Sav Hi Power,

2nd up is a Saddle Rifle (not saddle ring) in 32-40

The SRC is in .303 Savage

Above that the .300

Above that if an 'F' in 25-35

Top one was made in 1900, 26" barrel in 30-30 marked "Savage 30" which Savage was sued for by Winchester, and all subsequent barrels were marked "30/30". It was purchased by my Wife's Great, Great Grandfather. The 'F' by her Great Grandfather, and the "G" in .300 by her Grandfather
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Ranch Dog's Savage 99's

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Hey, that's where they are all hiding! Just kidding.
What an impressive lineup of cool old firearms. Beautiful array.
I'm hoping you hunt with some if not all of them?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice lineup! The only other 99 I would be interested in is the 375 Win, but they don't come easy!
Michael
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

9x80Drilling wrote:Hey, that's where they are all hiding! Just kidding.
What an impressive lineup of cool old firearms. Beautiful array.
I'm hoping you hunt with some if not all of them?

I don't unfortunately. Just recently they allowed straight wall calibers for hunting deer in my state.
And those have to be a minimum of .357 in diameter, so the 32-40 is out. :(

I suppose I could use the 22 Sav HP for 'yotes, but I have been using my suppressed Grendel AR with a digital NV for that
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

Those are some really nice 99's you have there. I picked up a slightly used 99 in 300 Sav. many years ago which was one of the last ones mfg. so it's not as nice furniture wise as the ones you have and the front and rear sights were missing but it's still a 99 that I'm proud to own. It's a great shooter especially with cast lead and it always gets lots of attention at the local shooting get togethers.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

That one's got a heavy barrel profile. I bet it's a good shooter!

You can juice those .300 savage loads pretty close into 30-06 territory, the 99 has a pretty robust action.

I really like the svelte look of the 99's, and being able to use spitzers in a lever action is bonus
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

I have several boxes of factory ammo for the rifle, Rem Core Lokt and Winchester Super -X that I picked up when I first got the rifle, still have most of them along with a partial box of jacketed bullets I worked up a load for but I hardly ever shoot jacketed bullets in the 99. For the type shooting and hunting ranges around here which is usually 100 yds. or less cast lead bullets can do anything I really need the rifle to do.

Although I'm getting quarter size or smaller groups with a couple Lee bullets in the 99 I've been thinking about getting the RD mold designed for the 300 Sav. I also started making my own brass for all the once fired .308 Win. brass shooter left at the range. It's an easy conversion to do and I've converted about 200 case so far, and they chamber easily with the oversized cast lead and function with no issues.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Kaiser »

I believe in the picture the 3rd one down is a Savage 99EG with the "Schnabel forearm". I have one that, according to the Savage records, was made in 1952; and it was not "tap and drilled" for a scope, but wears a "Redfield aperture sight. It has a 24" BBL and is chambered in .300 Savage. It weighs about 7.5 pounds and shoots and handles really well. Its favorite loads are with AA2520 and RL12 (sometimes hard to obtain) with 150 and 165gr bullets. Mine seems to like Sierra better than the other brands. My other Savage is a 1899 in a 30/30 made in 1907. It also, is not drilled or tapped and wears a Lyman "Tang" sight. While it shoots well with factory and reloads, it has a rather "tight" chamber. I believe the model Ranch Dog has is a 99R with the "semi-beavertail forearm (not seen very often), which is about a half pound heavier than the EG, but at least as accurate (if not more so per model). I've owned 99A's (250/3000's) and one 99-358, but let them "slip out of my hands" chasing other calibers and models (my bad!). I can only imagine what Savage would have to charge for these "fine" firearms if they were made today! As they got near the end of their "production cycle" they were using higher pressure (.243 and .308 class rounds) and even a "clip" in the model 99C nstead of the "great" rotary magazine.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”