Dies

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Dies

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I probably have die sets from most leading manufacturers and they all do their intended jobs, but now and then I come by something that makes me wonder. Case in point last night I was starting to work on some 30-06 for the M-1 and had cause to take the expander rod out of the full length sizer from my Lee RGB set. I was surprised at the length of the expander section of the rod and really need to ask if anyone has an idea as to why it's so long. As full length sizing dies go it seems to take more effort and cause more drag on the neck even with previously cleaned cases.

Things that make you go hmmmmm :D

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Dies

Post by daboone »

I have Herters, Forster, Redding, RCBS, CHD4 and Lee, mostly Lee. Honestly I can't tell the difference. I do actually like the Hornady and RCBS seating a little better. But I admit minute of beer/soda can works for hunting and plinking and the Lee seating dies do that too.

I know that the Lee rifle dies with their expander dies are gentler on brass than the others i've used. Being a cheap old ornery retired SOgun I like preserving brass.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The long taper should be great for neck ups . The actual sizer section length is about the same from most makers .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'd agree but it didn't seem to be tapered. I'll have to pull it out and look again. It just seems to be that it takes more effort to get the case out of the die than it did sizing it and it seems to be expander drag that's the cause.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of it.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'll see what I can do.

Curt
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Hopefully attached is a picture of the decap/expnd rod from the Lee 30/06 set I have. According to my mic both ends of the fat section are .307.

Make smoke,

Try again
lee 3006 expandr_Web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Looks like the "unbreakable" pin . Later pins have a longer taper from 4-5 calibers to specified caliber with the doughnut about 3/4 of the way up . Looks like that one is more like .290 to .305 to .295 . It looks straight but has a reverse hour glass shape .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Did you buy the die set new? It looks like a shade tree tool maker product to me. No way that is a current Lee Ez-Xpander!

Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:Did you buy the die set new? It looks like a shade tree tool maker product to me. No way that is a current Lee Ez-Xpander!

]
Agree it looks like a replacement pin. Perhaps a turned down mandrill from a neck sizing die?

Return to “Rifle”