Bullet resize on a pro1000

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Bullet resize on a pro1000

Post by Fyodor »

Dear Forum,

I know, this is a very strange question. Please read, think about it and answer without getting personal, or not at all.

My reloading place is very confined and narrow, and I have only very little place to store everything. I also have to remove the press after use, because I will be using the writing or kitchen table for reloading. So I'm very interested in having as less equipment as possible.

I will order a great bunch of stuff this week, including a pro1000 press for .38spl. Because I use cast boolits (a friend casts them for me) that need to be lubricated and sized, I also ordered a sizer and lubing kit, too. Just for that kit I planned to buy an additional press, the small LEE reloader press.

After a closer look I found out, that the pro1000 indexes at a very low point of the stroke. For resizing boolits I only need a very short portion of the stroke. With some kind of spacer under the carrier it would be possible to stop the press before it indexes. Is that portion of stroke enought for sizing boolits? A 3-hole turret would take much less space than an additional press, now matter how small.

Does anybody have a pro1000 and a sizer kit and has ever tried that out or would be willing to test it?

Cheers,
Jochen
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Bullet resize on a pro1000

Post by daboone »

I haven't use the Pro1000 in a very long time but as I recall just removing the action rod (indexing rod) and you have a single stage.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I have two pro presses mounted on opposite ends of a black & decker workmate center removable section. The entire workmate folds up and can be stored in a closet, etc. it is strong enough to stand on it, etc. I have another single rcbs press mounted on one side and a Lyman 450 lube/resized on the side,
When I want to load 223/9mm I put the center section in and can work it on the side. The opposite side has another pro 1000 with 45 auto set up. It is a busy little work station but is way to move around and normally use the single stage for rifle..I had to put a steel plate under the single stage and put some carriage bolts thru the top base to keep the integrity but for a 2x2 ft square work mate it does a lot of work.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

That's a nice idea... I actually do have a workmate, but I didn't know there's a center section for that. Or did you make it? Could you send a picture?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

There are 3 versions of the Work Mate ranging in price from $30 to $90. The 90 dollar one has the center section.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/work%2520mate?NCNI-5
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Hmm... That's the one I have. But here in Germany I paid far more, and it didn't come with the center piece. I need to check it I can get that as a spare part. I really like the idea. I have thought about using the workmate for reloading, but didn't know how to affix the press without doing holes in it.

Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I just checked, and actually the center piece is completely unknown by Black&Decker Germany! No bench comes with it, and it's not available as an accessory.

Very disapointing.

62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Fyodor wrote:I just checked, and actually the center piece is completely unknown by Black&Decker Germany! No bench comes with it, and it's not available as an accessory.

Very disapointing.

Yes but it shouldn't be to hard to make one.
Je suis Charlie
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Duo dot, you can easily make a center section any width and lent th you want as long as you can clamp" it to the workmate. I found on my single stage I was putting a lot more leverage onto the base in reforming shells from one caliber to another that I loosened up yhe mounts. I just drilled out the mounts and put carriage bolts with washers on both sides and it is much more solid. You could even put an additional table base over the workmate using the original holes with carriage bolts and leave everything mounted to your master plate. Anyway experiment and you'll be able to modify to suit your needs.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”