Lee Ergo Hand Primer (90250) Problems

PBaholic
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee Ergo Hand Primer (90250) Problems

Post by PBaholic »

My 1st post here. It was nice to find a forum about Lee Products.

I have been having problems with the Lee Ergo Hand Primer, ever since I switched to the current triangular tray. Mine jams constantly.

I'm lucky to live near the Lee factory in Hartford, WI and brought the tool to them. John Lee, the owner has been working with me to get this problem resolved. I use S&B Large Pistol primers, and their profile is slightly different than other primers, and Lee had not tested this primer with their product.
Adapter1.jpg
Lee is struggling with different primer feed issues, and have been modifying the ELEVATOR in the adapter for at least a few months. Originally the ELEVATOR was smooth on the back, but is started having nubs installed to prevent the user from pushing the primer in too far.
Nub height1.jpg
Lee does not make the ELEVATOR, it is supplied by a different company, and they are leaving flash along the edge of the hole where the primer slides, causing jams.
Flash in Elevator1.jpg
I've found a different solution that works well. In the older small primer adapter, there was an Elevator made of hard plastic that works very well in the large primer adapter.
Sml Primer Elevator1.jpg
The only downfall of this ELEVATOR is that it will break if the primer jams and you force it up to far.

Lee has another solution that I am trying, but initial results were not great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Ergo Hand Primer (90250) Problems

Post by mikld »

Excellent thread, thank you. I've not had any problems with my Ergo Prime that I can remember but it now lives in a drawer, somewhere. I got a Lee Bench Prime that works 100% and my Co-Ax press uses an excellent priming system. I think it's great that the owner of a large company listens to customers and assists them with improvements/updates on their tools and includes them in their "beta testing"...

Welcome to Lee Loaders forum... :mrgreen:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good news.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, thank you for the info and welcome to the forum!

My Ergo is in its box waiting to be sold because:
  • of the issues that you mentioned,
  • I find myself constantly readjusting my grip on the tool as it does not fit my hand,
  • and it needs a kickstand. This tool is huge.
I went back to my original Auto Prime with the round trays; I find it a better tool. I even have a new in the box spare, but I've been using the original for about 25 years without issue. I did put the new Auto Prime Comfort Grip (#90042), a very nice addition to the Auto Prime.

I do wish Lee would let their customers know when an improvement was available for their products. I suspect most of us have subscribed to their News on their website, but I've never received an email. The last posted news was in May 2017, but I did not receive that either. This would be a great way to let the Lee user know of part improvements.
Michael

Return to “Off Press Priming”