Uberti Cimarron SAA Colt Clone

Open forum for handguns.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Uberti Cimarron SAA Colt Clone

Post by GasGuzzler »

Picked up a 5.5" Cimarron by Uberti Evil Roy edition in .45C. I'm a Ruger fan but I actually like this gun more because of the "real" hammer with firing pin, etc. It still has the coloring I prefer on the Vaquero, better grips, smoother action and I couldn't find an original full size Vaquero locally.

Some may know I have been looking for an original full size version of the Ruger Vaquero in .45C with the 5.5" barrel in CCH color scheme and for sale locally by an individual for a price I can afford....too many caveats. Instead I got this. One of the main attributes of the upscale Evil Roy edition (as compared to the standard model P Cattleman) is the professional action job and spring selection they receive in addition to the hand-checkered grips.

I've had brass, dies, and even two molds for .45 long before I got this so it was an easy step to come home with this gun for the first time yesterday and cook up a cylinder's worth of first meal. Not an ideal mold for the cartridge but for now it will do. Lyman 452374 (better suited for .45ACP) at 225gr, Used brass with 6.8gr W231 and a WLPP at 1.600" OAL and crimped with a Lee FCD.

I plan on getting the Lee 452-255-RF mold and use some Titegroup too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Uberti Cimarron SAA Colt Clone

Post by Macd »

Nice revolver. The case hardened colouring is done well and Uberti has good quality. I have an Uberti 1875 Remington. I use 231, Clays, N340 and just loaded up a box with Trail Boss. I found 230 grain cast and jacketed bullets meant for the 45 Auto shoot okay but 250-300 seem more suited. Have fun.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Congrats GG Very nice revolver. Don't have any experience with them but have handled & fired a few.
They are for sure, a substantial & well made piece, ( No pot metal in these )
I know they have a VERY large presence at the Cowboy Action events around here.
Friend of mine has a matching set of .357 Mags, I love 'em.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Looks great so old school and its realistic compared to my Ruger Vaquero. Does it have the hammer transfer bar safety for the hammer. If not carry on an empty chamber.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

There are several 45 Colts style RNFP bullets . I have the 452-200 and 452-255s in 6C , the 200s drop right on the numbers like 199.5 to 201.3 over an entire run . The 255 both in the original 2 cavity and the new 6C drop 264.7-265.3 , just a heads up to be sure you actually weigh the bullets . 10 gr can put you into +P with a Colts pretty quick . Not a big deal if the gun is built for 45ACP also but if it is a Colts only platform you'll wear it out too soon .
I believe there is also a 230 RNFP available now . All 3 have basically the same nose profile .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I plan on following Colt SAA load guidelines. Just like ACP it's a big bullet and I don't have to run TC/Ruger loads. .357 in my Blackhawk is a different matter entirely. I wouldn't mind a 265 as I could always back off on the load. 900-1200 FPS with a .45 is plenty. It's not a 200 yard gun.

These have no transfer bar, a four click hammer with firing pin, a second detent on the cylinder pin that allows it to lock rearward to block the hammer (invisible from the outside), and VERY slick lockwork.

Even better and unlike a Vaquero, the chambers line up with the loading gate.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

That's a great looking piece!
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Love my Taylor version. Trigger/action on it is great! And so far, shoots about anything I have stuffed for it. Not picky at all.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Got my 6-hole new in box Lee 452-255-RF from RD a couple days ago....waiting on the new handles to arrive and I'll make up some 255's.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”