Bullets 9mm/357 diameters

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
rog54
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Bullets 9mm/357 diameters

Post by rog54 »

Hi,
As I mentioned in another post and a different subject I am going to try reloading 357 sig. As I begin to search for bullets I am getting a little confused and could use some input from ya'll.

1) I read "flat point" is more or less preferred. (due to OAL, enough insertion into necked case etc.). But I see as I search I find few, "FP" bullets. Think I found one from Montana bullets.

2) I start reading the specs and I see .355 which I am familiar with but then some .356 & .357? Is .357 for the magnum load? What about .356?

3) Gavin, (Ultimate reloader), used Hornady XTP which I believe is a hollow point. And essentially the shape of a FP.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated, Thanks.

Rog
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Bullets 9mm/357 diameters

Post by RBHarter »

If you use plated or jacketed it probably won't matter as long as you choose a bullet suitable for your impact speeds .

Cast bullets will make it a lot more important to pick the right dia .

Will this be a 2" 50 yd pistol or a bedroom gun ? Then dia matters more too .

The best advice for the shortest distance to little groups is slug the barrel . Wood or brass dowel and a soft lead round ball or egg sinker and drive it through the oiled barrel . Once shaped it should go easy . 0000B should do for 9/38/357 .

Don't be surprised by the numbers at .357-8 .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Perhaps the truncated cone type bullet would satisfy the needs.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have one 357 Sig that I load for and for the most part I use .356 diameter bullets regardless of design. FMJ, HP,plated cast or standard cupro-nickle jackets. That's what the H&K likes so that's what it gets. It is least fond of cast, I was told that the combination of 357Sig, H&K and cast bullets would not be a happy marriage and so far my experience has born that out. On the other hand Berry platted and Sierra jacketed have worked wonderfully.

Remember that despite of the shoulder the 357 head spaces on the case mouth and should be taper crimped not roll crimped. I found it to be a reasonably easy case to load and the H&K isn't too picky except for cast.

YMMV

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

This comment doesn't help but I don't want the variables of loading a mini-rifle bottleneck case that head-spaces off the mouth.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

+of
How about these? I could have bought two Polish pistols unfired NIB with spare mags and cleaning rods for $400.00. I didn't and have regreted it ever since.
300px-7.62x25_-_FMJ_-_SB_-_5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rog54

Post by rog54 »

Not sure I fully understand the head spacing issue. Check out this article.
https://www.capitalcartridge.com/Reload ... -s/256.htm
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Sounds like a bit of a picky cartridge to reload. I am sure others can measure to the mid-point of a shoulder perfectly as suggested to set up shoulder based head spacing but I haven't been able to perfect that technique. I suppose one could make a collar for a OAL gauge that would work but only for fired cases from one pistol.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”