Starting Up Casting Questions

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Starting Up Casting Questions

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought my utensils (ladle and slotted spoon for smelting, various stainless bowls, muffin pan, etc.) at the local dollar store for very little cash. If you use a muffin pan eventually to make ingots make sure you use a cast iron one....the sheet metal units are too flimsy and most of them these days have the cups soldered to the tray.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks, alot guys. You always end up costing me money!

Smelting Lead
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Just a quick note. The side burner on my BBQ melts lead in a stainless steel pot and with a lot less waste than a turkey cooker burner and with more temperature control.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:You guys are all very helpful and I appreciate your input. I will eventually cast a few calibers, but thought .45 ACP bullets would be a good place to start. Tumble lube seems simple but I will need to keep it clean and try not make a mess. Also if I try powder coating them they will work well from what I have seen. I am falling down the rabbit hole of reloading and now the hole is just getting bigger...it is a good thing my wife likes me shooting and reloading.
I have found most of my reloading gets me down that rabbit hole. :lol:

If you use the tumble lube from Lee it is not that sticky and I have bullets that are two years old that as are good as when I lubed them. Secret is not to overdo it. A slight sheen is plenty. Welding gloves, a full face shield and long cotton sleeved shirt or jacket are a must. The first two are pretty cheap protection. For fun, a corn dog pan makes nice size ingots that fit perfectly into a Lee 10# pot.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I've also found that the 60/40 mix of Mineral Spirits/Lee Liquid Alox works even better. Just a few drops, swirl 'em, then stand 'em up like little soldiers to dry. The next day there'll be a nice golden film with no goop globs, and dry (enough) to the touch. It's done a really good job for me the last 3-4 years.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

mr surveyor wrote:I've also found that the 60/40 mix of Mineral Spirits/Lee Liquid Alox works even better. Just a few drops, swirl 'em, then stand 'em up like little soldiers to dry. The next day there'll be a nice golden film with no goop globs, and dry (enough) to the touch. It's done a really good job for me the last 3-4 years.

jd
Never tried cutting it. Thanks for the idea.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

These are great replies and this is exactly why I asked. I have put a lot of time into researching and reading and watching videos. I have not been prepared to 'take the plunge' yet, mostly because of the commitment. I see the time I have spent on reloading and it has been time well spent, priceless really, as I have enjoyed it more than I can explain. I am hoping the same will be be true of casting, but realize there are a great deal of variables and also a lot of extra work involved. I told my wife I would probably cast 'when I am retired' but I am a long long way from retirement and would like to start now. I think in early 2018 I will start casting. I have already bought some reloading stuff for Christmas so really need to use the rest of my funds to get my wife some nice things, she deserves better than I could ever buy. But I have the itch to get rolling in the lead. LOL! My 15 year old son started doing metal casting in shop class last week and he wants to cast bullets with me now too. I think it will just be good for me. Thank you all for your input.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”