Lee Reloading Handbook 1st Edition

The "how to" source of using Lee reloading equipment and one of the largest collections of loading data
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee Reloading Handbook 1st Edition

Post by Ranch Dog »

Most of us are familiar with Lee's Modern Reloading Second Edition but have you ever wondered about the First Edition? I have a copy, not real sure about the year(s) it was published but it is a very cool handbook especially in light that it only cost 98¢
Reloading_Handbook01.jpg
What is interesting is that the load data was generated for cubic inches, the measure used on the early Lee black or red dippers. It does list max charges that should be weighed but the intent of the data in the book is to give your practical data for a wide range of cartridges using the Powder Measure Kit dippers.
Red_CI_dippers.jpg
As you can see, that dipper on the book is quite tinted from powder use!

Back to the Handbook, ! I'm pretty sure that is a young Mr. Lee on the cover and I love his setup directly on the bench. Plain and simple!
Michael
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

Re: Lee Reloading Handbook 1st Edition

Post by pricedo »

I have all the dipper sets and still use them the odd time.
My old prospector friend in Timmins uses a load for his 303 BR bolt action I suggested to him and just has a dipper to measure powder, Lee cutter and arbor set for trimming and a LEE hand press. He doesn't even own a scale and gets by just fine. His hand loads looked really good last time I was up.
Gets along great for a guy who left school in grade 5.
Just because you don't have a lot of formal education and a sheepskin on the wall doesn't mean you're stupid and can't do stuff.

One thing I like about LEE is that if they don't have a stock measure or other tool for your specific caliber or gun they will make one for you.
**I have just about every reloading manual ever printed in my rather extensive archive library including all the published LEE manuals. I think there are 1 or 2 paper LEE manuals kicking around.
The RCBS automatic digital scale has taken most of the guesswork out of weighing charges.
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello Michael,

I wish you good luck with the Lee Forum, and more hours in a day too.

Many years ago I had one of the original Lee Loading booklets but it has been misplaced and probably thrown out. I often referred to that booklet when my library of loading manuals was much smaller and I really miss it to this day. Richard Lee surely was a much younger man when his picture appeared on the cover.

With my printing background I am always on the lookout for typos and can't help myself trying to stop that after retirement. So, while reading the rules I noticed the first rule states "no flaming of Rossi" which I assume was picked up from the Rossi Forum rules. Should that read Lee Precision?

I dug out my original Lee Loader yesterday, a 16 gauge bought in 1964 which had produced many loaded shells for my old Fox Model B SXS. That loader started me on the never ending road of reloading fulfillment. Thank you Mr. Richard Lee.
Tuco Ramirez
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

When that was printed it was probably the hourly wage from most folks.... :lol: I can still remember when my dad would fill up the 65 chevy pick-up for $5.
When you have to "shoot" Shoot don't talk
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:That loader started me on the never ending road of reloading fulfillment. Thank you Mr. Richard Lee.
Well said!
Steelbanger wrote:With my printing background I am always on the lookout for typos and can't help myself trying to stop that after retirement. So, while reading the rules I noticed the first rule states "no flaming of Rossi" which I assume was picked up from the Rossi Forum rules. Should that read Lee Precision?
Thanks for the spot. Yes, I've copied much of the "stuff" from Rossi Rifleman as I'm trying to mirror the two forums to make the maintenance of the forums similar. Yes, I would like to know about anything that need a correction whether it be something this that has been noted, grammar, or spelling. Just point it out like you have and let me know, it is appreciated!
Michael
galaxieman
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by galaxieman »

I just won an ebay auction for one of these 1st edition Lee Manuals. Cant wait to thumb through it. There are also some reprints available on ebay, but I wanted a vintage original.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Love the Lee Loader sitting on his bench. He has a youtube video with him loading a .223 round in like 43 seconds. His hands look like he's in his 80s.
Je suis Charlie
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

That picture of the 1st Editio Lee manual brings back a lot of memories from my dad's time.

Return to “Lee Modern Reloading Book”