New Quick Trim

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
graphic914
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: New Quick Trim

Post by graphic914 »

I was looking at that, will be on my to buy list
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I have never had an issue with LEE's trimmer and lock stud. I even have some cutom length pilots I had ordered thanks to advice on the rossi forum.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I bought the quick trim in 8mm and it does 7.7 jap and has been doing large meplats on military full metal jackets after I cut the nose off with a Dremel tool. Trims every thing square
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Zippidydoodah wrote:I bought the quick trim in 8mm and it does 7.7 jap and has been doing large meplats on military full metal jackets after I cut the nose off with a Dremel tool. Trims every thing square
Can I get a pic of the bullets? I've thought of doing that with a tool for the Forster trimmer.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Image[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/6aqazy6y.jpg[/IMG
1st photo is mil 30-06 and cut same. Meplat is about .175" I loose about 5 grains bullet weight by cutting off the nose. I take a flat file and smooth the nose a little.
The second photo is 30-30 that I had loaded spire pts in. They are about 120 grain and thin jackets.
That is best thing about cutting them off you can see the jacket thickness. Some of the military fmj had really thick jackets and some were very thin. Would affect rate of expansion. I have done a variety of mil bullets from 8mm all the way to 223 on the Lyman universal case trimmer. It is easier and faster than the lee quick trim and pilots in the cutter head. It cuts a ring through the jacket. Then I use a Dremel hand saw to cut thru the lead and saw the tip off. I leave it in the fixture and put a couple of strokes with a flat file to smooth it up. You can't tell it from factory except the nose isn't rounded lead.
I can still use the Lee quick trim on 30-06, 7.7jap, 303 Brit and 8mm to increase meplat DIA.
I had been pulling mil bullets and using hornady, Sierra, Speer and others but this is faster if they are reliable
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

30-30 bullets I had loaded with 120 grain spire pts (t/c contender). I cut them in the Lyman universal trimmer. You can see jacket thinness when you cut them. The 223 bullets are easy to do and will make an explosive varmint bullet from a fmj .

Return to “Case Trimming”