Any 38-40 reloaders out there?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Any 38-40 reloaders out there?

Post by 357cyrus »

Anybody out there reloading for the 38-40? What do you think of it? I just opened a box of knick knacks that belonged to the only Great-Grand Father I was fortunate enough to meet (passed away when I was 7) In it was a loaded 38-40 round, and of course the wheels started turning. Sounds like it would have been a great game getter for him when he was my age.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Any 38-40 reloaders out there?

Post by 62chevy »

I'm thinking that's 38 cal with 40 grains of Black Powder for a rifle?
Je suis Charlie
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

44-40 necked down to a .400 caliber bullet. No one seems to have a good answer as to where the "38" came from. Pretty similar to the 40s&w in terms of power from a handun. More from a lever gun.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've shot one and was considering reloading for it. There was an older gentleman in my area that was quite the firearms "accumulator" that owned a modern revolver chambered in the cartridge, the manufacturer escapes me, that asked me if I could cast and reload for it. I said sure and took the handgun. Before I could even get the dies purchased, he passed away so I returned everything... after I shot the pistol.

My dad owned one that he carried for self defense as a private investigator here in South Texas during the '50s. He traded it to the Sheriff of either Calhoon or Victoria County for a Colt chambered in 32 ACP. Too many people were intimidated by the single action revolver.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have at least one Marlin and two Winchesters in caliber 38 WCF.
They will do everything you would expect a caliber 357 mag to do but maybe 10% better due to the fatter diameter. If you consider a caliber 41 "Special" cartrdge then you have a real comparrison.
New cases will hold about 34 grains of 3F which will get you to the old BP velocities. Smokeless of course is far easier. 2400 would be my frst powder of choice IF you can seat a throat diameter bullet. Old rifles are notorious for fat throats and you generally have a tough time getting a throat diameter bullet to chamber.
Unique works well with near throat diametr bullets if the bullet is cast from 40-1.
A 200 grain is easily capable of corn crunchers at 50 yards. But those flat nose bullets slow down fast at "old rifle velocities". The 180 grainers are not as reliable to exit past 50 yards. I personally do not use them except for ground hogs or coyotees. No exit hole with slow velocity equals a long day tracking.
A modern rifle in 38 WCF would be fun. Push it to 1500+ FPS with 200 grainers and deer would be easy to pop out to 100 yards. But that would be about my stopping place again. I hunt river bottoms and have never popped a deer past 34 yards where I hunt.
Mike in Peru
44WCF
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by 44WCF »

my granddad had a Winchester 1873 in 38WCF for a short time when he was a young man. he bought the rifle from a neighbor for "5 days labor", that would be $5 to you and me. the man's sons convinced him that he needed a more modern rifle for deer hunting, a couple of years later he asked to buy the rifle back from grandpa and he sold it for the same price. granddad's brother had joked that at 100yrd you could catch that bullet in a baseball mitt. another or grandpa's brothers owned and killed atleast one nice buck with a 25-20, as poor farm boys in the northwoods of Wisconsin they hunted with anything they could get their hands on. I have found the 44WCF to be effective on deer and a '92 in 38WCF should be equally great if you load your own.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”