Lyman 4500 Back In Service

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lyman 4500 Back In Service

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that I'm moving all my pistol reloading to the Load-Masters, I decided to put my Lyman 4500 back on the bench. In that I'm using the bullet feeders, I want to keep the nose of the bullets as clean as possible, and I also want to prevent as little lube build up as possible in the bullet seating die.

My main objection to the 4500 though previously use was that short pistol bullets were hard to retrieve from the die. With the Push Out Rod adjusted so that the Adjusting Screw & Lockout would allow the short bullet to be pushed low enough in the die so that the bands were lubed, the Bullet Knockout Link did not have the authority to pop the bullet out of the die. I had left the luber with a "nut" tie wrapped inside the link, my temporary non-adjustable fix, to close the gap (left side of above picture).

I've had a couple of years to think about the fix and it is simple. I drilled and threaded the Bullet Knockout Link to accept a ¼"x20 bolt. That is all that is needed, the bolt is simply adjusted to eliminate any gap between the Link and the Push Out Rod.

My 4500 has the Lyman heater, a temperature controller, and the Buffalo Arms lube feeder. I have a real good assortment of dies, most are custom sizes to fit all my rifle and pistol diameters. Buffalo Arms has just about any custom size not covered by Lyman or RCBS. I was using White Label Lube's 2500+ for both rifle and pistol and will continue to do so.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lyman 4500 Back In Service

Post by daboone »

Now that's ingenious. Thanks for sharing.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Now that's ingenious. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have an RCBS with a home built heater and controller that could still make use of that adjuster.

Lube feeder? I need to check into that....if it's the key to not sliming the entire world with lube on long sizing runs.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have an RCBS with a home built heater and controller that could still make use of that adjuster.

Lube feeder? I need to check into that....if it's the key to not sliming the entire world with lube on long sizing runs.
Cabin Tree Auto Lube Feeder For RCBS, might want to check it out as it is limited to the remaining inventory. Sure enough, Cabin Tree has been sold. The same notice is posted for the Lyman 45/4500 Lube Feeder. You must call to purchase.
Michael

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”