Lee Mold 401 175gr TC top punch for Lyman/RCBS

Lee Bullet Sizing Kits
afish4570
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee Mold 401 175gr TC top punch for Lyman/RCBS

Post by afish4570 »

Searching for a Top Punch for lubing my bullets with a traditional Lyman Lube machine....I have been using an old RCBS top punch #565. Fit seems ok but always have doubt when improvising. Anyone else shooting and lubing this bullet the old way. I also use the Lee sizing tool .401 and Lee Liq. Alox, double dipped. Trying to see which lube method works the best (least leading ) in IDPA shooting.afish4570 :roll: :roll:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Mold 401 175gr TC top punch for Lyman/RCBS

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is a great reference that fits your question. Cast Bullet Pic Lee Top Punches Reference

I'm going to move this to "Bullet Sizing", it will be shadowed here where you posted it for a couple of days.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If you buy a larger SWC nose punch then fill it with either JB Weld or similar then it's pretty easy to make a custom fit nose punch. I just made one with JB Weld's Plastic Weld for a custom fit nose punch for a Lee rifle bullet that I couldn't find a good enough fit for Lee's round nose profile. Using the Epoxy putty was a little easier but I don't know yet if it will hold up as well. I just put a little grease on the bullet and lowered the nose punch over the bullet and let it set.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Maximumbob54 wrote:If you buy a larger SWC nose punch then fill it with either JB Weld or similar then it's pretty easy to make a custom fit nose punch. I just made one with JB Weld's Plastic Weld for a custom fit nose punch for a Lee rifle bullet that I couldn't find a good enough fit for Lee's round nose profile. Using the Epoxy putty was a little easier but I don't know yet if it will hold up as well. I just put a little grease on the bullet and lowered the nose punch over the bullet and let it set.
This method works like a charm. It's easy to do and save $$! Like Maxi said you get a custom nose punch. I had a friend cut me a bunch of blank nose punches with just a small indent that would hold the epoxy and made several of mine that way.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Bullet Sizing”