Spray graphite on mold?

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Spray graphite on mold?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Another butane lighter fan. But I did melt the top of one not paying attention to how long I was using it... :oops:

When I first started I used some Frankford Arsenal mold release spray. What a disaster. I will admit that once I figured out I could spray the mold, let it dry, and then brush it out with a tooth brush then it wouldn't leave all the nasty uneven build up that cast skinny bullets. But the trouble was the bullets would still sometimes stick. And it took too much work. A quick simple butane smoke later and the mold is trouble free again.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

The mold I bought on eBay was a six cavity .452 ACP . Too good a price to pass up! It had a real lite graphite spray and can't be rubbed off with your finger. I figure it might cast ok. I'm willing to try some before I clean it out. You never know until you try it.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

It isn't the SWC TL 200gr mold, is it? I found that mold to always drop skinny bullets for me. If it is then I hope your luck is better than mine.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Image. You know, it doesn't look bad, and my limited experience with graphite spray is positive. Hey it is. 6 cavity and if it throws small bullets can clean that pocket and make several sizes from same mold.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

May smoke half the pockets and compare sizes and how they fall
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:May smoke half the pockets and compare sizes and how they fall
That would be an excellent idea.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

That is an AWESOME bullet from that mold. That's a Lee'ed up clone of the HG68 bullet mold. The Lee has more rounded edges I guess to help clear the mold better and it's a bevel base to I guess help with feeding them into the case when seating. I cast these all the time and with a pile of range scrap and some tin ingots I can make some ammo capable of better accuracy than I can pull the trigger. I made some with a Lyman #2 alloy so they were a bit hard and I bet that would make a great hunting bullet in a S&W 625 since they cut clean through a 4x4 post and kept on going. They hold a lot of bullet lube and I found that sized to .452" and lubed with 50/50 alox/bees wax they didn't give hardly any leading at all and that may have been because I was using scrap lead to cast them. If you can't tell, I like that mold.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”