Newbee question - bullet seating problem

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
mlail
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Newbee question - bullet seating problem

Post by mlail »

After everything I identified the die as a factory crimp die. I talked with Lee and they said that there was a batch of box sets where someone had incorrectly added the factory crimp die. I also noted that both dies look alike from the outside.

Horseman - I thought that too but Lee confirmed my suspicions. I didn't get a seating die, wish I did.
Ranch Dog - Round nose
Gasguzzler - It would be very difficult to take a pic of the inside of the die but it would be easier to take a pic of the pieces. And bombs away. I will wait on the new die to confirm what Lee and myself have determined.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies as I learn the art of reloading!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Makes lots more sense now. I offered to post pics of a "proper" Lee 9mm seater die set up. I'll still do it if I remember after sleeping.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

FWIW here are a couple pics of my set-up for 120-isg grain cast lead but it doesn't vary much from my 115 gr RNFMJ set up. Pics are ram up, handle down to show approximate installed depths. +corn

__________________________________________________________________________________________
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

I've got pictures of the 9mm Bullet Seating (Left) and the Carbide Factory Crimp (Right) dies. These were purchased in July this year.

Distinguishing features of bullet seating die:
1. 45 degree chamfer at the base
2. Body is 2.5" instead of 2.125" long
3. There is a bullet seating cone "floating" inside the die
4. Knurling on Bullet seating die (main body of the die, not the adjustment on top) is twice as wide as on CFC. It is about 3/8" vs 3/16".

Also note the distance from retaining nut to bottom of die. When I use the bullet seating die I DO NOT crimp with it - that's why you see the depth difference. That happens to be equal to about 3 full turns.
IMG_20161003_181745.jpg
IMG_20161003_182133.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's 9mm so I don't crimp with my three die set either. Just close the flare. Neck tension plus barely any size down is fine for any auto. Id say about 0.004" closed.
mlail

Post by mlail »

I started this thread and I thought that I would let everyone know that Lee actually sent me the missing die free of charge. I got it in and tested it with about 6 rounds. Hey its a new toy... So, I adjusted it as expected and ended up fine tuning it by about 1/4 turn to push the lead in where I need it. I too used the die just for inserting the lead and not to crimp. I followed up with the factory crimp die and readjusted that as well. Now I have the working set expected.

Next task is to find someplace not too far away, preferable outdoor, which will allow me to test my reloads. Most in Charlotte only allow factory rounds in their indoor facilities.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and guidance!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Tanks for the follow through on keeping us updated. Got to love a company that works like this. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Handgun”