LoadMaster Case feeder problems

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

LoadMaster Case feeder problems

Post by jloader »

I've got two issues with my case feeder.
Both issues are with large and small slider with 38SPL and 9mm cases

Issue #1 - The last case in tube bounces off the slide.
When the last case gets dropped from the tube in front of the slide it just bounces and most of the time falls of the press before the slider gets to move it forward.
It does not happen if there are other cases in the tube as they sit on top of the dropped case and prevent it from bouncing.
My workaround for this is to put my finger on the side of the case as it drops to prevent it from bouncing. Not a good long-term solution.

Issue #2 - Squeaky and jerky motion of the crank slide assembly.
I'm talking about the part that sits on the square rod with 2 screws.
Even with the no cases, when I move the piston up and down the darn thing squeaks and has jerky movement on the square rod. That jerky movement gets transferred to the slide that then keeps bumping the case forward instead of sliding it. And that makes some of the cases fall from the press.
I have initially thought that this is just too tightly adjusted so I loosened the tension screw... but as soon as I loosen it even just a bit, the cases do not get fully inserted to the case holder plate.
I have tried to redo the alignments but nothing seems to make a bit of difference.

Any thoughts?
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: LoadMaster Case feeder problems

Post by Fyodor »

jloader wrote:I've got two issues with my case feeder.
Issue #1 - The last case in tube bounces off the slide.
When the last case gets dropped from the tube in front of the slide it just bounces and most of the time falls of the press before the slider gets to move it forward.
It does not happen if there are other cases in the tube as they sit on top of the dropped case and prevent it from bouncing.
My workaround for this is to put my finger on the side of the case as it drops to prevent it from bouncing. Not a good long-term solution.
Same here on the pro1000. I haven't found a good solution, either. I just go on, and pick up the dropped cases at the end.
jloader wrote:Issue #2 - Squeaky and jerky motion of the crank slide assembly.
Sorry, no idea.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have an item to ship tomorrow, when I get that done I will send a picture. Simple cure, solved most of the problem for me.
Steve

Post by Steve »

This small piece of aluminum bolted in the spot you see closes the case in on 3 sides, the last one in the tube usually just jumps around a little bit then sets still waiting to be loaded. I use this with 380 Auto and 40 S&W. works good. The plate of aluminum is 3/4" X 1-1/4" X 1/32". I Think it's a scrap off a tape backup. Small electrical panels is a good source. Think I even made one from aircraft plywood 1/32" thick. the 2 wood screws are from a hobby shop 1/16 X 1/4.
plate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jloader

Post by jloader »

Steve - I love that simple mod!!! I'll probably do that this weekend. Thanks.

Also, I think I've solved my Jerky motion of the slider issue.
So, I've spent a bunch of time looking at blogs and videos related to it.
Ended up going to the basics:
1. disassembled entire case feeder mechanism
2. noticed lengthwise scrapes along the square rod - so I took apart the crank slide mechanism and found a few burrs. Sanded them down. Did not sand down the round 1/4" stub - it looked like it was there for a reason.
3. I have run a 220 grit sandpaper on the aluminium "base" where the shells slide towards the case holder - it was quite rough to start with. The press is quite new and I never polished that part.
4. reassembled everything lubing only the underside of the "base", no lube on the square rod
5. used a much smaller tension on the crank slide then before. Since the base is now polished, the cases slide into the case holder with ease.

Run thru over 200 cases - no more jerky motion and only 1 case was not fully inserted in the case holder - I can live with that as this was probably my bad for stopping in mid stroke.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Rmelchiori

Post by Rmelchiori »

since you are loading cailbers that are so different in length, I have to ask, are you adjusting the height of the case dispenser so that there is only enough room for the case to fit and a little more? 38 spl is probably twice the length of a 9mm case. If you are not making the adjustment it leaves way to much space and as you've seen, the last case then has room to bounce off.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Rmelchiori wrote:since you are loading cailbers that are so different in length, I have to ask, are you adjusting the height of the case dispenser so that there is only enough room for the case to fit and a little more? 38 spl is probably twice the length of a 9mm case. If you are not making the adjustment it leaves way to much space and as you've seen, the last case then has room to bounce off.
All are a close fit.

Return to “Progressive”