2nd Edition "Updates"

The "how to" source of using Lee reloading equipment and one of the largest collections of loading data
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

2nd Edition "Updates"

Post by mr surveyor »

I just bought my son a copy of the Lee 2nd Edition Manual and was wondering if they had corrected a few glitches I had marked in my 3-4 year old 2nd Edition. Surprisingly, they had fixed those, but more surprisingly a huge amount of the load data had been pretty drastically revised - several we noted as the new recommended "Max Load" was about at the mid level in the older book, and some of the older "Start Loads" were now near "max" in the new release of the 2nd Ed.

It's a bit confusing when there's that much difference. I do use an older Lyman 46th Ed. and mainly the powder manufacturers' on-line data as well. I always try to find three sources so I can work for the middle ground, but having 2 really diverse renditions of the same load book on hand now is gonna complicate that procedure.

surv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 2nd Edition "Updates"

Post by Ranch Dog »

As I understand it, Lee's data is simply a compilation of what the various powder and component manufacturers provide them. These folks might be "lawyering up".
Michael
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Ranch Dog wrote:As I understand it, Lee's data is simply a compilation of what the various powder and component manufacturers provide them. These folks might be "lawyering up".

Could be, I have found the Lee modern reloading book to provide powders that other sources do not, but when I have compaired the Lee to my Hornady, the Lee starts lower.
dagger dog
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by dagger dog »

Really like the old farts large type, plus like the newer powder data.

I will say this about the "lawyering up" as it relates to staying safe. If you follow the instructions and data in the Lee Manuals , it is one of , if not the best way to stay safe while cutting your teeth.

There is a lot of chest thumping by the author and he touts his equipment. But his system works, and it's great for basics.

Once you have been at it for 10 years then you have the knowledge to venture where "no man has gone before".

Just wanted to add, if I start a new caliber, the first book I pick up is Lee's Modern reloading !
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I started out with a Hollywood press in the 60's. I bought 2 sets of dies, 30-06 and 38 special . When my son was old enough for a gun, I got another set of dies30-30. I always used the Lee powder scoops because they were easy to use. And I didn't have a scale(too cheap)
Along the way I bought the Challenger press kit and got Lee's book. I read it cover to cover several times and learned more about the whys of what he did and why he did it his way. I have a scale now but also have 2 sets of scoops and lots more of his dies, molds, and several turrets, etc
His book is a must read!!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

OK call me old and out of date and missing the boat. all of which is TRUE. +zzz

I currently have 9 manuals not counting Lee first edition. Apparently there is "newer" Second Edition? Is this just load data? What up with this newer edition?

signed: slow on the uptake :oops: :?:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

daboone wrote:OK call me old and out of date and missing the boat. all of which is TRUE. +zzz

I currently have 9 manuals not counting Lee first edition. Apparently there is "newer" Second Edition? Is this just load data? What up with this newer edition?

signed: slow on the uptake :oops: :?:
Load data ans a couple of new chapters. Can't remember what they are off the top of my head thou.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

also, the 2nd Edition has more than one "release" .... my copy of the Lee 2nd Edition in three years old, and had various errors in the load data. I bought my son a copy last year and the errors had been corrected, as well as some powders having been added. Not sure why they don't change the moniker to 3rd Edition by now so one would expect updates/changes to have been made.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wscywabbit
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wscywabbit »

mr surveyor wrote:also, the 2nd Edition has more than one "release" .... Not sure why they don't change the moniker to 3rd Edition by now so one would expect updates/changes to have been made.
I had wondered the same thing considering my Lyman is the 49th...
In God and guns we trust; it's an American tradition!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 2nd Edition

Post by mr surveyor »

wscywabbit wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:also, the 2nd Edition has more than one "release" .... Not sure why they don't change the moniker to 3rd Edition by now so one would expect updates/changes to have been made.
I had wondered the same thing considering my Lyman is the 49th...

I'm still using a Lyman 46th that a buddy gave me a few years ago .... I really need to update :D

Return to “Lee Modern Reloading Book”