Case Prep Favorite Tool

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Case Prep Favorite Tool

Post by horseman »

Like daBoone (and many others) I also use a powered case prep center to do all steps on rifle brass. The only complaint I have with the one I use is I wish it "spun" a bit faster. Even so, it does make the process easier and quicker for sure. Quicker is better...I hate brass prep. :x
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Horseman wrote:Like daBoone (and many others) I also use a powered case prep center to do all steps on rifle brass. The only complaint I have with the one I use is I wish it "spun" a bit faster. Even so, it does make the process easier and quicker for sure. Quicker is better...I hate brass prep. :x

I find with the Lee case trim slow to medium is the best speed. Fast seams to just polish the brass.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay daboone, 3-Jaw Chuck on the way. It wasn't enough for a good order so I bought a complete XS Scout Mount and Ghost Ring setup for my Marlin 375!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Because you use a case prep station and load multiple calibers I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy it. For the Lee Case Length Gauge system of trimming it is the universal shell holder. No more sorting thru that green box to find the right one to match the case/caliber. :t

Doing it correctly requires not just closing the jaws into the rim. That won't do it. It's necessary to continuing tightening the case spinner stud (the equivalent to the lock stud) till the stud is tightened down against the case's head in the 3 jawed chuck by securely twisting the chuck's lock ring. I'm not talking a death grip twist but tight, about a total of 1/4 twist/turn..

As was mentioned in a comment above the Case Spinner Stud comes with a round shank unfortunately. I see you currently use a multi tip screwdriver handle for holding the Lock Stud. The Case Spinner Lock Stud will require some epoxy and an old retired screwdriver handle to make it work in a similar manner.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
JSJJ388

Post by JSJJ388 »

I use the press mounted quick trim
JSJJ388 EAGLE SCOUT '15
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

JSJJ388 wrote:I use the press mounted quick trim
I don't know much about the quick trim. Doesn't it require caliber specific inserts? Does it do both inside and outside chamfering at the same time it trims? That sound interesting but I so used to the simple inexpensive Case Length Gauge system I don't think I be willing change. :? :roll: ;)

What is your impression :?: Do you have a dedicated press for it or does it use the Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
JSJJ388

Post by JSJJ388 »

daboone wrote:
JSJJ388 wrote:I use the press mounted quick trim
I don't know much about the quick trim. Doesn't it require caliber specific inserts? Does it do both inside and outside chamfering at the same time it trims? That sound interesting but I so used to the simple inexpensive Case Length Gauge system I don't think I be willing change. :? :roll: ;)

What is your impression :?: Do you have a dedicated press for it or does it use the Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings?
Yes, it does require caliber specific die, but I only really load one caliber. I found the "die" for $10 on fleabay. Yes, the "deluxe trim" trims and chamfers, this is what I use. The basic one only trims. I had the basic but did a head swap for like $5 to the deluxe. I like it alot. I use a breechlock challenger so I put it in a bushing and lay it on top of the .223 dies in my cabinet.
JSJJ388 EAGLE SCOUT '15

Return to “Case Trimming”