mold lube

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
morayman
My Press Choice: Turret

mold lube

Post by morayman »

What do you use to lube your Lee molds? I just discovered that I don't have any bullet lube to use on my Lee molds.It's starting to get cool enough here in Florida that I can begin casting again,but I need to lube the molds and thought I'd see what others use,morayman................
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: mold lube

Post by Ranch Dog »

morayman wrote:What do you use to lube your Lee molds? I just discovered that I don't have any bullet lube to use on my Lee molds.It's starting to get cool enough here in Florida that I can begin casting again,but I need to lube the molds and thought I'd see what others use,morayman................
You don't need much for sure and I use what the instructions recommend, the LEE NRA FORMULA ALOX® BEESWAX MIX stick. I just looked and I'm not sure Lee is continuing to carry this as it is tough to find on their website. Still, it can be found through a multiple sources.

You apply it to the mold block pins and between the block and the sprue plate in the area of the sprue plate bolt. You need to be very careful in you application as if excess flows to the cavities, you will need to start your casting session over, back at the start, cleaning the mold. I apply a very small amount, just a touch, to a flat blade screw driver and touch the areas to be treated. With the mold hot, the lube will flow into the appropriate parts. One tube lasts a long, long time.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:...I'm not sure Lee is continuing to carry this as it is tough to find on their website. Still, it can be found through a multiple sources.
Yeap, Lee has discontinued their version of the product. Any NRA 50/50 will do.

I also do not use any spray on treatments, none. My mold business taught me that. Almost every mold that I had returned that had been through a casting session, had been returned with spray on coatings applied. These products apply a layer, a thickness, that was not factored into the design of the mold blocks. The products react to temperature and heated aluminum. In every case, I cleaned the mold up, tested it, and then sold it at a very discounted price on ebay. New threw one away.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

BullShop's Sprue Plate lube or a pinch of Johnson's Paste Wax if I ever run out of Bullshop again.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Lee now says to use beeswax or anti-size. I don't have any beeswax so as a former grease monkey a ton of anti-size.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Lee now says to use beeswax or anti-size. I don't have any beeswax so as a former grease monkey a ton of anti-size.
Thanks!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote:Lee now says to use beeswax or anti-size. I don't have any beeswax so as a former grease monkey a ton of anti-size.
Thanks!

You're welcome.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”