Lee push through sizer vs. Lyman 45 lubesizer

Lee Bullet Sizing Kits
s1120
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee push through sizer vs. Lyman 45 lubesizer

Post by s1120 »

OK, so I have a Lyman 45, but not the sizer dies. Does the Lee push through sizer setup have any advantage over the old lubesizer?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee push through sizer vs. Lyman 45 lubesizer

Post by 62chevy »

Tumble lubing makes sizing a bit faster BUT after the first sizing you have to lube again. Plus they coast less over all.
Je suis Charlie
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

All push through type sizing dies have a bit of an advantage over push/pull sizing dies in that they tend to size a bit straighter. Depending on the Lube sizer you have, it can be a good bit straighter or only a tiny bit, but it's straighter. I had a Lyman 450 that was so bad I had to modify the sizer to add set screws to align the die better. YMMV
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a Lyman 4500 and spent quite a bit of money on custom size dies. It is heated with the auto lube feed. I used it a couple of times and removed it from my bench. Put it back a year or so later and removed it.

I truly do not consider it a sizer or gas check seater. It does a terrible job with both. It is a lube applicator at best. I need to get off my duff and put it on eBay.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

The advantage is nose first sizing, and it's a fast and easy (and inexpensive) way to size IF they have the sizer you want. However you can get custom or after market sizing dies though. I have three or four of the kits about but don't use them because I haven't found a tumble lube I like. I've had a couple different lube sizers (had one like yours, Lyman 45) gave it to a friend of mine when I bought a Star many, many, moons ago. As far as I know he's still using it. I prefer using "normal" lube...but I'm old and set in my ways. :lol:
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Wow, good information. I use Lee push through dies for a few reasons. First, they are inexpensive. I have 4 mounted on a Lee turret and sizing is a breeze. I looked at lubersizers when I first started casting in the late '80s, and found none that fit my budget (initial cost plus dies and nose punches for each bullet cast). While pan lubing may be slow and labor intensive for some, I have several pans ready to drop bullets in (holes from previous lubing still there) and cook, and don't have to try to get the lube outta a lubersizer, quite a task as I've heard. I can also "customize" a Lee sizer die quite easily, and I have 3 that aren't available commercially that fit my guns perfectly (I used Lee's sizing dies to form .318" jacketed bullets down from .323". It was not an easy task, and it took a lot of lube and muscle, but it worked. Couldn't do that with a lubersizer.). I'm in no hurry to size/lube any of my bullets so Lee sizing dies being a bit slower make no difference to me.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

mikid,

Which Lee turret are you using? That's a good idea and it seems like a lot of reloading presses are showing up on the local gun swap & sell here in GA. Most like new with a ridiculous amount of accessories.

My guess is "knee jerk" buy before ban reaction/purchases, ill conceived and poorly executed. I'm seeing a metric ton of Ar15's as well. They oughta be familiarizing themselves with those firearms instead. All the same, a very good value if one needs a reloading press or has a use for the one they're selling. The accessories one doesn't want could be sold off to other reloaders who have a need.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Look up Ben's Liquid Lube. Mix some up and test it out until you get it right. Once you figure it out then your Lyman 45 will be on eBay with others. I'm not sure why I still have my Lamsizer or 450 still.

Return to “Bullet Sizing”