Die recommendation for .308

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
5akman
My Press Choice: Progressive

Die recommendation for .308

Post by 5akman »

I've got a MAS 49/56 chambered in .308 that I'm slowly working on. Its a French auto loader for those not familiar with it. My son is also shopping for a Tikka T3 in .308 also. With those applications in mind, what Lee rifle die set would best suit this need? Presses available to me are the Classic Turret, LM, C&H H press and Herters Super 3.

Also, any load recommendations to start with? Just plinking ammo to begin with but I'd guess we'd both like to "reach out" as far as possible in terms of range!

thanks!

Lance
Value Turret, Loadmaster, CH single stage, Mec 600jr
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Die recommendation for .308

Post by RBHarter »

I think any of the die sets will do fine . The 3 die set will be best with the dead length seater and FCD dies .

In 30 cal I have twists from 1-8 to 1-12 ,the 1-12 just won't shoot over 175 gr without regard to shape ,it is a 308 . I have a couple of 1-10 06's they both shoot 180s reasonably well and 1 is zok with some 200s. The faster twists are of course right at home with the heavies and would probably handle loads up to 275 gr RN and 225 spire points.

With all of that the 308 is generally at the top of its game in 145-165 gr bullets if your rifles are 1-12 twists odds are that a bullet like the 168 gr Sierra Match King has a 60/40 chance of working . It should work in the bolt gun loaded a little longer and hotter . If you the 1-10 twists in both rifles there is a GI long range load with a 173 and 178 gr probably Match King bullets that have high BC and are designed around 1000 yd match work.

With either of the 4350s I had no difficulty getting accurate loads with Hornady 150 gr BTSP well into the 2800s. I haven't found an all cartridge cast plinker bullet yet and even if I had it probably wouldn't help much with the HK . I've had good luck with several GI M2 type bullets .
I chose 4350 because at that time I needed 1 powder to work across several calibers in 2 cases.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I would get a set that has both a full length sizing and neck sizing die. Lee has a set I think called the ultimate or something that does this. Pretty much any auto loader will need full length sizing to be reliable but the Tikka should be able to neck size and keep that brass aside just for that rifle.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I would get a set that has both a full length sizing and neck sizing die. Lee has a set I think called the ultimate or something that does this. Pretty much any auto loader will need full length sizing to be reliable but the Tikka should be able to neck size and keep that brass aside just for that rifle.
I agree with Bob on this one, get the Lee 4-die set.

The only things I think worthwhile to add to that set is a universal expander with NOE Lyman M-die expander for .308 and a Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater die for the Tikka. Why the Forster? I've used it and the Redding and for serious jacketed bullet seating, both work well,but the Forster will not break on you if you need to seat over a compressed load and doesn't leave a mark on your high dollar jacketed long range bullets (The Redding did both to me). Also, the Forster is easier to read the markings and is less expensive.

Here's my thoughts on the Lee rifle dies:

1. Their full length sizing die is as good as anybody and I've tried some others. You can use it to shoulder bump your semi-auto cartridges just like any other full length sizing die.

To do this, you'll need to be able to measure your chamber/throat. This book describes the procedure and is worth every dime. I think it is out of print, but this is the copy I had: I used that method to save brass wear when reloading my M1 Garange for competition. Worked perfectly every single time. There are better pieces of equipment today for measurements than the RCBS brand mentioned in the book.

2. The factory crimp die is to me about the best rifle crimp die around, very easy to adjust your crimps from light to heavy, depending on cartridge. You will want to smooth up any rough spots though.

3. Their neck sizing die is as good or better than anybody elses and again, is easy to adjust.

4. Their bullet seating die is a good one as anybodys, again, easy to adjust. It is only exceeded in my experience by the Redding and Forster, both of which are a good deal more expensive. I wouldn't use the high dollar dies for lead (their interiors are too specialized for it to be a good fit) and I think the Lee seating die is great for lead.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”