Picked up four truck/car guns for serious business.

Open forum for rifles.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Picked up four truck/car guns for serious business.

Post by DaveInGA »

62chevy wrote:Hi Point is a good choice for a truck gun just don't over use the +P rounds.
That's something I've been thinking on. I'm debating using a "warm" standard round for practice, then use a +P load for "carry" purposes. I keep thinking on the negatives/positives of using home made round for carry vs. buying several boxes of high dollar +P "Personal Defense" cartridges.

Right now, I'm looking at the better penetration of a round flat combined with the expansion of a well-designed/made cast lead bullet as preferable to the potential clogging of a hollow point with clothing material. If the HP clogs, from what I can find out, you're basically back to an FMJ bullet.

Lead has a history of delivering the goods over a long period of this country's history while driven by black powder. I can't imagine modern powder would reduce the performance of the lead. May not be Geneva Convention, but when it comes to protecting the home front, I could care less. Performance trumps all when protecting the women/children from evil men.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Picked up four truck/car guns for serious business.

Post by 62chevy »

DaveInGA wrote:
62chevy wrote:Hi Point is a good choice for a truck gun just don't over use the +P rounds.
That's something I've been thinking on. I'm debating using a "warm" standard round for practice, then use a +P load for "carry" purposes. I keep thinking on the negatives/positives of using home made round for carry vs. buying several boxes of high dollar +P "Personal Defense" cartridges.

Right now, I'm looking at the better penetration of a round flat combined with the expansion of a well-designed/made cast lead bullet as preferable to the potential clogging of a hollow point with clothing material. If the HP clogs, from what I can find out, you're basically back to an FMJ bullet.

Lead has a history of delivering the goods over a long period of this country's history while driven by black powder. I can't imagine modern powder would reduce the performance of the lead. May not be Geneva Convention, but when it comes to protecting the home front, I could care less. Performance trumps all when protecting the women/children from evil men.
I see that as a good plane Dave.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Discussions”