slow loading but still fun

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: slow loading but still fun

Post by Steve »

mr surveyor wrote:I've been thinking about getting the RCSB Universal myself and keep it dedicated to small primer needs. Even though I use the round "old style" Lee primer tool, I still occasionally have problems with small primers flipping or getting sideways on the ram. I don't recall having too many issues with large primers, but have taken a liking to using the ram prime with the hand press for large primers. But it's getting to where handling even the large primers into the cup on the ram prime isn't so easy. I dropped one last night and spent 20 minutes under desks, tables and cabinets searching for it, but haven't found it yet. Mainly don't want it picked up by the vacuum cleaner and risk a detonation .... aeriated dust in confined spaces mixed with a high ignition source just normally don't play nice :shock:

jd
Small primers were all I used my RCBS Universal tool for until now. Don't know the number for sure, but it would be somewhere close to 7,000 small primers with it. I don't do anything special when using it. It just works.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

That's good to know. It would probably do me well to make life easy and buy two ... one dedicated to small primers, and one for large.

I do like my old style Lee, but from some of the "reviews" I've read it sounds like it may be better to pass on the "new style".

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I started with Lee loaders in the late 1950's and graduated to a RCBS Jr in the 1960's Still have both and still use both.
The RCBS jr is my go to loading press.
I have a Lee Classic cast for brass forming and resizing as I like the extra leverage and bulkiness of the Lee press
I do not need to reload300 in 30 minutes so I make reloading a pleasurable experience!

beekeeper
Steve

Post by Steve »

Loaded more cartridges on the single stage for the Henry the last couple days. It was just a load some to kill time type task, really relaxing. Loading these 45 Long Colts like I do 30-06 rounds gives me a chance to exercise the Lyman DPS, it is the one that dispenses and weighs the powder charge. It sure speeds up weighing powder charges.
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I like reloading. I've been blessed with a job that gave me a pension that would prolly allow me to buy most of my ammo, but shooting factory ammo is less than half the fun of owning guns. My lifestyle has never dictated my reloading methods as I enjoy the whole process from finding a load in one of my manuals to finding the brass on the ground at the range, to recording the results in my reloading log. I once considered a progressive or a semi-progressive turret, but one day thought "what will I do after I reload all 200 rounds (one session for my 1911 or Garand)? I already have my "stash" of 250-400 rounds for each of my guns". So, I reload slow, and have more time to enjoy it... :mrgreen:
Steve

Post by Steve »

mikld wrote:I like reloading. I've been blessed with a job that gave me a pension that would prolly allow me to buy most of my ammo, but shooting factory ammo is less than half the fun of owning guns. My lifestyle has never dictated my reloading methods as I enjoy the whole process from finding a load in one of my manuals to finding the brass on the ground at the range, to recording the results in my reloading log. I once considered a progressive or a semi-progressive turret, but one day thought "what will I do after I reload all 200 rounds (one session for my 1911 or Garand)? I already have my "stash" of 250-400 rounds for each of my guns". So, I reload slow, and have more time to enjoy it... :mrgreen:
I know what you are saying, but I sure wouldn't want to give up my progressive (Loadmaster, 2 of them). For pistol shooting I got to where I couldn't even keep up with a Lee Deluxe Turret Press. Health slowed me down this year but I still blew through 5,000 40S&W and a few thousand 380 Auto. Hope 2016 goes better.

The 45 colt rounds I am loading are what I call premium ammo for hunting or shooting ISIS. The practice 45 colt I shoot is loaded by a friend of mine. I have been shooting a few hundred of them a month. It's a fun rifle to shoot.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

mikld wrote:I like reloading. I've been blessed with a job that gave me a pension that would prolly allow me to buy most of my ammo, but shooting factory ammo is less than half the fun of owning guns. My lifestyle has never dictated my reloading methods as I enjoy the whole process from finding a load in one of my manuals to finding the brass on the ground at the range, to recording the results in my reloading log. I once considered a progressive or a semi-progressive turret, but one day thought "what will I do after I reload all 200 rounds (one session for my 1911 or Garand)? I already have my "stash" of 250-400 rounds for each of my guns". So, I reload slow, and have more time to enjoy it... :mrgreen:
I have a turret a load 50 or a hundred and then come back the next day and do the same. I'm not in any hurry. My Wife keep insisting I get a progressive but knew I didn't want one so bought the turret with auto indexing so she thinks it is a progressive, lol.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Reloading”