Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: ram's oil recipe

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
Steve wrote:
DaveInGA wrote:I wonder if over time, grease could drip the same way if one is not careful.
A definite yes to that. Some of my drips has been grease.
I'm like Dave wipe it down every time I use it and apply fresh wheel bearing grease. Any excess is taken off so no chance for grease to drip. 30 weight oil stinks and will drip, I know it is what Lee says to use but I just can't get past the smell.
The grease I have had drip was from the pins with grease fittings in them. That seeped out after setting idle in the hot work shop.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:The grease I have had drip was from the pins with grease fittings in them. That seeped out after setting idle in the hot work shop.

The Christmas Lights are back. +guns

Back on topic, wheel bearing grease by nature is high temp and will not run under normal temps but I do have some grease that would run on a hot day. I didn't use it because the wheel bearing grease was easier to get to, lol.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

[quote="62chevy]
Back on topic, wheel bearing grease by nature is high temp and will not run under normal temps but I do have some grease that would run on a hot day. I didn't use it because the wheel bearing grease was easier to get to, lol.[/quote]
Wonder if wheel bearing grease can be bought in the 3 ounce cartridges?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
62chevy wrote: Back on topic, wheel bearing grease by nature is high temp and will not run under normal temps but I do have some grease that would run on a hot day. I didn't use it because the wheel bearing grease was easier to get to, lol.
Wonder if wheel bearing grease can be bought in the 3 ounce cartridges?
Have to check the local auto parts store and see.

Forgot the lights are on top, lol.
Je suis Charlie
s1120
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by s1120 »

Man you guys are much more organized then me... I just give it a quick wipe down once in a wile when I think of it, then wipe a little bit of gun oil on it... Seems to work
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Amsoil in a spray can, use it for pretty much everything. I buy it at Coastal, (I buy a lot of stuff there cause' everyday is a 10% discount day for veterans) Wipe down the ram with a shop towel, spray a "bead" around the ram while in the up position, run it up and down a few times and wipe off the excess from the frame. Once in a while I'll give the zerks a shot of grease from a grease gun, same stuff I use on my tractor (and other equipment). I think some of you fella's are waaaaay overthinking this press lubing. If you're getting "drips" from grease or oil, you're using to much. A reloading press is not a high speed heavy impact piece of equipment.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Horseman wrote: If you're getting "drips" from grease or oil, you're using to much. A reloading press is not a high speed heavy impact piece of equipment.
Drips are the reason I went to Wheel Bearing grease. Just a little dab will do and when it builds up it's easy to wipe off.
Je suis Charlie
slohunter

Post by slohunter »

I mix Marvel Mystery Oil and STP and use it to lube everything. 10 bucks makes almost a half gallon and lasts years.

Return to “Single Stage”