Using the Loadmaster after hand-priming.

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Using the Loadmaster after hand-priming.

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:I've heard horror stories about exploding primers on a Dillon. It's never one but all in the tube. That is one of the reasons I like the Lee Safety Prime.
I was present in the loading shack when the primer tube on the Dillon 1050 exploded. It was super load. The tube split open but the blast was held in by a pipe it is held in.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
62chevy wrote:I've heard horror stories about exploding primers on a Dillon. It's never one but all in the tube. That is one of the reasons I like the Lee Safety Prime.
I was present in the loading shack when the primer tube on the Dillon 1050 exploded. It was super load. The tube split open but the blast was held in by a pipe it is held in.
One I read about was on a 550 with no pipe to contain the flash from the tube.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
Maybe it was an older press, or modified. All of the Dillon 550 presses I have seen (not a lot) have a tube that the aluminum primer tube fits into.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
62chevy wrote:
Maybe it was an older press, or modified. All of the Dillon 550 presses I have seen (not a lot) have a tube that the aluminum primer tube fits into.
That or it got removed for some reason. I'm thinking the Dillon is a prime candidate for off press primming. Didn't intend any pun.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

All primer tube systems I know (Dillon, RCBS, Hornady) have a double pipe system. One that contains the actual primers, and another one surounding the first. This will keep an explosion inside the tube, blasting everything out upwards, but the user won't be hurt by debris.

This is different on LEE presses... for the LoadMaster there even is an explosion shield that'll protect the user on a primer KB. There is no such thing for the pro1000. The safety prime is perfectly safe, since only one primer is close to the seating stem at any given time, and it will not ignite another primer when going off.

A friend of mine who uses a LoadMaster including on press priming already had two primer blasts. He's wearing Mickey Mouses while loading now.

I had one primer go off in my loading romm that fell on the floor and I stepped on it. That was load enough for me. I don't want to know how a hundret primers sound, going off simulatenously.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

All this talk about loading made me go in and load a hundred rounds.
The tubes on the case feeder are extended to hold 25 cases of 40 S&W. I filled it with powder and 100 primed cases. Started pulling the handle. Got done had 100 perfect cartridges in the bin. No errors as usual.

I should have timed it, but wasn't in a hurry. Checked the powder weight and OAL on a few, all were within my parameters, which are close enough for good accuracy.
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

Fyodor, I big to differ. Once, but only once, I have detonated a primer on the Lee Pro. I was reloading .45acp. I remember a stoppage but kept on and BANG. I set off 4 primers.....machine gun fashion. It was over in an instant. Made me jump I can tell ya, but my fault for forcing the arm.
That was years ago. I've loads loads of 9mm, .45acp and loads and loads of .38 and 357 on my Lee Pros(3). I've never repeated it and a tipped primer is an exception.

Return to “Progressive”