Classic Turret Not Indexing Completely With Powder Through E

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
10mmauto
My Press Choice: Turret

Classic Turret Not Indexing Completely With Powder Through E

Post by 10mmauto »

Well, I just set up my new Classic Turret press to load up some .380. Got the dies set/In-line fabrication's case ejector system/powder drop/primers/etc. Everything seemed to run very smoothly (after a couple of glitches).

But 99% of the time, as the press indexed, it failed to completely line up at ONLY the powder/expander station. It indexed fine for all of the other three stations. It would only hang up at the powder/expander station. All it took was a little nudge with the left hand for it to click in - it actually went very smoothly - I did 100 rounds. But there must be something specific that is causing this.

The press seems to run fine with no rounds going through it - I checked the index at each station as I rotated it through a couple of sequences. I tried a little extra punch after the primer was seated - to jiggle things around - but it didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Classic Turret Not Indexing Completely With Powder Throu

Post by 62chevy »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Hope this helps.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is a good video on fixing your problem. Turns out it's a 50 cent fix. +guns
Je suis Charlie
10mmauto

Post by 10mmauto »

Thanks. I happen to have an extra one of those. I'll give it a try.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I just replaced the plastic square ratchet part on my Classic Turret and will a little lube it now feels like it's brand new again. I was shocked how worn the original part had gotten when I felt how tight fitting the new one is. Anyone that feels like their press is getting sloppy in indexing between stations probably needs to replace that part. Titan Reloading carries them for .50 so they make a good add on item when you order other stuff. I plan to order one with the next few orders. I figure half a dozen of them may last me the rest of my life.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I just replaced the plastic square ratchet part on my Classic Turret and will a little lube it now feels like it's brand new again. I was shocked how worn the original part had gotten when I felt how tight fitting the new one is. Anyone that feels like their press is getting sloppy in indexing between stations probably needs to replace that part. Titan Reloading carries them for .50 so they make a good add on item when you order other stuff. I plan to order one with the next few orders. I figure half a dozen of them may last me the rest of my life.

Same here, replaced that 50 cent part and did 200 rounds of 45 acp. By the end it had loosened enough to feel smooth. I started using wheel bearing grease for the ram and turret and now I don't have to lube it every 50 rounds.
Je suis Charlie
kaycee

Post by kaycee »

I reload in a sunroom that is not temperature controlled, and living in the south humidity is a problem. I make sure that the indexing rod is clean of rust. I've made it a habit to remove the rod, lube it some gun oil and store it inside with all of my turrets to prevent rust. Occasionally I'll rub it with some fine steel wool and re-lube to keep everything running smoothly. While the indexing ratchet is a wear part, I've reloaded over 10000 rounds using just one ratchet.
celem
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by celem »

While the square plastic part "may" be worn, the rod also has to be properly adjusted. See this video:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Return to “Turret”