Bullet Mold Prep Out Of The Box

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Bullet Mold Prep Out Of The Box

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thought I would show you what I do to prep a mold as it comes straight out of the box. I've done this to about 2,500 molds! This is the double cavity mold but there is no difference in working with the six cavity.

I start by carefully opening the sprue plate as I have often found production debris under plate that will scratch the upper surface of the mold blocks. I only open it and do not close it until my prep is finished.

Next, I use 000 steel wool and lightly polish the upper surface of the box. The idea isn't to remove metal, just polish it. You generally will see wear under the point where the sprue plate pivots. I often find material trapped under here. The area needs to be polish up well as if not this area will cause problems later with the sprue plate fitting flush to the blocks. I then stone the underside of the sprue plate with a 600 grit stone lubed with WD-40. You can see the wear on that stone, it has seen a lot of sprue plates in it's life!
Lee_dc_new_04.jpg
With that done I completely clean the mold, usually with a spray bath of WD-40. Be sure to flush the sprue plate screw hole with fluid. Steel wool will get trapped in there and corrode the screw threads down with heat and use.I then dry with a soft towel and start to put it back together. You can see the new block design in this photo. I really like the beveled edges and the mold designation. I would like to think I had something to do with that!

You will also see that I use a small amount of anti-seize on the sprue plate screw threads and down inside the screw hole.
Lee_dc_new_06.jpg
That's it, this mold is almost ready for use. That will be the subject of another post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Bullet Mold Prep Out Of The Box

Post by Dan 444 »

Michael,

Thanks for sharing your method!

Best,
Dan
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch, you are much more complete about it than I am!!! I thought I was doing well to take everything and just lube it and work the swivel on everything by hand until it feels like it's moving with ease.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm just trying to take care of them, especially my designs, as it is quite costly to get replacements.
Michael
Rooster59
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Rooster59 »

Thanks again RD. You are the man!
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”