Loading for the 41 Long Colt and Lee doesn't make anything..

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Loading for the 41 Long Colt and Lee doesn't make anything..

Post by Royce »

I got a dandy Colt New Navy in 41 LC caliber. I am a die hard fan of all things Lee but I don't see anything that they make for it. Am I missing something?

Yes I have lots of brass. One 50 round box of Western ammo, One 50 round box of Winchester ammo (also in Western cases BTW) and one box of Remington. Right now it's all brand new. I got two different 41 LC lead bullets to try, a couple hundred of each.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Loading for the 41 Long Colt and Lee doesn't make anythi

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, they never made a die set or Lee Loader for it. I had a revolver chambered in it back in the '90s.

The "heeled" bullet makes it a bit different to deal with. Start with this thread, checking the links to see if they are still active: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... -suppliers
Michael
Royce

Post by Royce »

Yes saw that one but I already have the components so it's not a real helpful link. I did find a tidbit that was useful on crimping heeled 41 Long bullets in this old magazine I bought on eBay. It shows how to modify an electrical battery cable crimping tool to make it possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I snuck up on two hogs sleeping under a live oak and shott them with a Colt chambered in 41 Long Colt. The ammo was from the period that the pistol was produced.

Michael
Royce

Post by Royce »

It turns out that Lee does make a factory crimp die for 41 LC, they just don't sell it directly. I got one of these because my cases are the longer 41 LC cases - they happen to be the same length as the Starline case. One caveat though: the shell holder that fits Starline cases is the Lee #1 which also fits 38 Special and 357 Magnum. The original cases have a slightly larger rim diameter so you will need the Lee #2 shell holder to make everything work when reloading original brass.

This is what I got to crimp heeled / hollow base 41 LC bullets in original cases:
Old West Crimping Die 41LC
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

It is also of note that the Colt isn't the same as the modern 41s as it has a .410 OD vs the .410 bullet dia .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Royce

Post by Royce »

RBHarter wrote:It is also of note that the Colt isn't the same as the modern 41s as it has a .410 OD vs the .410 bullet dia .
I measure the biggest OD of the 41 LC bullet as the driving band on heeled bullets at .401 - .403". You would be in trouble trying to put a .410" anything in one. The ID of the brass is .387" for all except the rim. OD of the brass is .405".
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Vs the modern 41 at .410&.426 the OD of the Colts is "designated" .41 cal at .410 in company of the .408 dia rifles .......

Didn't mean to step on toes or look dumb just wanted to make note for those without the knowledge.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Handgun”