45 Colts short cases and fat chambers

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

45 Colts short cases and fat chambers

Post by RBHarter »

The recent urge to load some 45 Colts lead me to get out the BlackHawk and check the dimensions and the assorted lots of empty brass for fit . I haven't done a lot of shooting over the last 3-4 years, but I've done a far bit of tool swapping that has been mostly good .

I noticed a significant crud ring in the chambers and although I don't recall shooting any 45 S&W in it that doesn't mean anything really . So I cleaned that up finding it to be mostly just soot not actually scale of some sort .

Then I got to thinking maybe I should check the case lengths . I mean you know I have 250 Winchester cases from factory I bought in 98-99' and have 35-38 cycles on them , yeah 10,000 rounds of mostly 250-265 gr cast bullets at 35 to the pound is a ton and half of lead and 8# of Unique, a pound of H110 , some H322 and 2# of Red Dot. I found those older cases were only 1.265 instead of 1.285 .....2/100 is a long way when your loads are by the data 18kpsi already. It would also explain why I had to reset the crimp enough times to remember it as a thing .

I've changed out the RCBS carbide dies that took the body down to .469 so it could blow back out to .481 in the RBH for a set of steel RCBS a Lyman AA in Deluxe 3 die set (circa 1974) and a loose Lyman steel sizer .

I sized a few pieces to set up and check dies and dimensions, I did change dies to reduce wear via sizing so I should make sure I did that . Well the RCBS set kind of killed the happiness leaving a .471 mouth and .474 body not really a lot better than the carbide dies . The Lyman steel die was better giving me a .477 body and .474 mouth . The 1974 carbide Lyman was a pleasant surprise at .4755 . Closer to what I wanted and probably great in tighter chambers than the Ruger .

I remembered that I had about 100 cases I'd set aside for a Rossi M92' and it's fat .490 chamber and .450 groove . I had used an FCD 45 ACP for it and short sized it in an effort to figure out why golf balls were in a world of hurt out to 75 yd then everything went sideways. Different thread completely.
So I sized a few and knocked out the primers with the loose primer punch .478 in the gutted 45 ACP FCD .

I spent $2.75 for a 5/8-18 x 1-1/2 bolt that I'll drill and tap 1/4-28 for a spare RCBS decapping pin and jamb nut and cut an 0 ring groove in it . Then I'll have a carbide sizer for the 45 Colts that makes a .478 OD that will accommodate the .454 cast .

I have 3-400 new Star line and Winchester cases so it looks like I have 250 older Winchester cases to trim to 1.105 for the Schofield reamed 1917 . A guy has to get his money out of this brass .... On the other hand if I only get to cycle it 4-5 times before it lets go it'll have 40 cycles on it so I guess I probably did ok on it .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Handgun”