LEE FCD Variants

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

LEE FCD Variants

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm sure it's been explained here before, but I have to ask again ... if anyone is listening ....

Over the last few years of my re-loading stint, about 10 years using LEE dies, I've seemed to run into a lot of confusion regarding the Lee Factory Crimp Die. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding, or just ignorance (word used technically) concerning the FCD. My question that tends to be caused by this "confusion" is WHY did the good folks at LEE use the same name (LEE FCD) for both the standard "ring type" die and the "collet style" die?

That name useage alone seems to have created a lot of the problems

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Re: LEE FCD Variants

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've only used the collet style FCD. Never had one that had the carbide sizing ring in it.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

all four sets of my pistol dies (4 die sets) have the FCD (ring type), and I use them for every load.

My 30-30 dies are RCBS (2 die set), but I use a FCD (collet style) with them.

I know that in addition to the collet style FCD's for rifle that LEE made, or still makes, the FCD in collet style for many pistol rounds.

Both types work, maybe one type works better that the other with different cartridges or bullet types. The issue that keeps bothering me is that both types of FCD are still labeled LEE Factory Crimp Die, and in internet postings on the various gun related forums there is always some controversy clouding the FCD.

IF the LEE dies had specific, and easily identifiable "names", a lot of the confusion would be eliminated.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think it's dumb they're called the same name when they perform different functions in different manners but it seems to only be confusing to new reloaders. All my pistol dies have one. They work well with most cast bullets but sometimes cast pistol bullets have issues. My .30-30 dies are Redding but I have the Lee FCD for it as well as my 5.56X45 and 7.62X39 Lee die sets. The Lee rifle dies were bought as three-die sets. My .30-30 stuff is Redding because I scored a Ranch Dog mold, Redding dies, and Lee FCD from the same fellow for a great price.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I see the name being much like that of bolt . There's bolts of brass , steel , stainless , titanium , incanell (sp) and a list about as long as your arm .

You use the right bolt for what you need it to do is just what you do . You don't go to Bob's hardware for a socket head 1" structural bolt for your Twin Bonanza wing attach fittings , and you wouldn't use one of those for CAT head bolt .

We just have to be aware of the difference in the dies .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Well, I do know the difference in my individual LEE Factory Crimp Dies, but if you visit the majority of gun/firearm web sites you'll see the downright hate/disgust for all things LEE and the Factory Crimp Die (particularly among cast bullet users) is usually the thing that stimulates the "hate" .... and this includes (mostly, and most vocal) long time re-loaders that have zero experience with the LEE dies. They don't know the difference between a ring type crimp die and a collet crimp die. It's all in the use of the same name for two totally different products that seems, to me, to have hurt the LEE reputation

jd
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Technically the two dies do have different names. The carbide ring die is called the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die whereas the collet die is simply called the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I know, to close for comfort, but different none the less.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

horseman wrote:Technically the two dies do have different names. The carbide ring die is called the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die whereas the collet die is simply called the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I know, to close for comfort, but different none the less.

Thank you! Yep, that one word - "Carbide" - in the name does, or should make a difference, but it just doesn't seem to have made much difference in the general perception of those that have never tried either type of crimp die. I have noticed over the course of the last few months that more and more people admit to using the FCD (no mention of which type, and the loud naysayers have finally backed off a bit. I just remember a few short years ago there was quite a crowd of supposedly very experienced re-loaders that appeared to do their very best to vilify anything combining the words LEE and crimp die

jd
greg_r

Post by greg_r »

I like the collet style rifle factory crimp dies. I do not like the carbide pistol factory crimp dies. I feel that they hide issues that happen during loading. Why do I need to "post size" my loads? If I am doing everything right, my loads should work fine without doing that.

I do like the Lee Taper Crimp dies for loads to be fired in my semi automatic pistols.

Return to “Handgun”