Bullet won't fit

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Bullet won't fit

Post by killian6pk »

I decapped 250 9mm cases using the Lee universal decapping die. I tried a bullet in several cases and they seem way to loose for the bullet. So I figured I needed to use the resizing die that came with my Lee 9mm 4 die set. After setting that die (decapping die) and trying a few cases the bullet will not go in at all. I am using a (I think plated bullet). Am I not doing something correctly? I set the 9mm die to just touch the shell holder as the instructions said.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Bullet won't fit

Post by horseman »

killian6pk wrote:I decapped 250 9mm cases using the Lee universal decapping die. I tried a bullet in several cases and they seem way to loose for the bullet. So I figured I needed to use the resizing die that came with my Lee 9mm 4 die set. After setting that die (decapping die) and trying a few cases the bullet will not go in at all. I am using a (I think plated bullet). Am I not doing something correctly? I set the 9mm die to just touch the shell holder as the instructions said.

You need to "flare" the case mouth a bit. Powder thru die (Lee set) will provide that service. Read the instructions for set up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, what horseman said. Probably, you should setup up all your dies at this point and complete a "dummy" cartridge. No sense in loading anything until it all fits. I've been loading with Lee tools for more years than it seems, a lot of different cartridges, I still reference the instructions all the time.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

FWIW, I flare all the cases I reload. Flared for all cast, jacketed, PCed and plated bullets in my rifle and handgun reloading. Some of my reloads use a Lyman M die for flaring, but all get some sort of flare. It's pretty hard to stuff a .355" slug into a .352"-,353" tube without some sort of "entry way"...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'll take a stab at this...

The universal decap die doesn't resize. That's why it's universal and why the bullets were loose at first. The brass is still ballooned from firing.

The size die puts the brass back at spec so since it's a "non-rifle" case, the bullet needs help going into place. I am not starting an argument on rifle flares but with jacketed rifle bullets I do NOT flare and have no issues. Anyway, 9X19 needs VERY LITTLE flare (not even a flare, more like a slight expansion) for plated or jacketed and only a minor flare for cast to make it easier to have a proper mouth diameter after you set the bullet.

I will echo the others, the instructions will help a lot if you follow them closely but no one wants that only as a direction. Sometimes we need the "whys".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

Well seems the basic response is each die in the set has a function. . From my perspective and my perspective only each Die needs to be used in proper sequence and when I do this I have no trouble. Assuming the dyes are adjusted correctly
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
mikld

Post by mikld »

FWIW flaring; I often tell newer reloaders to flare as much as needed to get good shooting ammo now, and worry about case life later, even if the case mouth looks like a tuba. Excess flare is removed during crimping (or for semi-auto using a taper crimp die to deflare). Too much flare is when the case won't enter the seating die easily. K.I.S.S.
jarhead127
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by jarhead127 »

First lemme state my credentials before anyone listens to me, I just loaded my first 10 rounds with a Lee Classic 9mm kit last nite. I have actually reloaded before, but mostly rifle with a single stage press. Anyhow, from my construction experience, there's a big difference between chamfering + flaring. 9mm isn't supposed to be flared, that's why the tool doesn't come with the kit. 9mm should be chamfered + that tool doesn't come with the kit either, so the instructions recommends a knife. I with 10 rds of experience under my belt recommend you purchase the chamfer tool, I did last nite. The knife is a real PITA. But anyway, a flare actually widens the outer diameter of the case where a chamfer on the case wall opens the id w/o affecting the od.
mikld

Post by mikld »

A flare opens the case mouth enough to seat all bullets, jacketed, coated, plated and cast. I have not heard any recommendation of 9mm not being flared, as a flare is definitely needed for cast or coated bullets and makes jacketed bullet seating easier/possible, and more often than not a chamfer isn't enough. Normally chamfering the case mouth is just enough to seat jacketed bullets, and even that is often problematic. Too much flare is when the case won't easily enter or scrapes the ID of the seating die. Actual crimping isn't recommended for semi-auto rounds, but the flare is removed with a taper crimp die. I tell new reloaders to use as much flare as needed to seat bullets straight as it will be removed with the taper crimp die later. I have reloaded several thousands of semi-auto rounds and all use the same method; flare as much as necessary to get good, clean bullet seating, and remove flare in the "crimping" stage.

I'm only sharing my experience from a lifelong machinist/mechanic's background. I have been reloading for a long time and only started reloading semi-auto ammo in the early '90s and reload for 9 pistols from 32 ACP up to 45 ACP. I just share my methods and my experience...
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

mikld wrote:A flare opens the case mouth enough to seat all bullets, jacketed, coated, plated and cast. I have not heard any recommendation of 9mm not being flared, as a flare is definitely needed for cast or coated bullets and makes jacketed bullet seating easier/possible, and more often than not a chamfer isn't enough. Normally chamfering the case mouth is just enough to seat jacketed bullets, and even that is often problematic. Too much flare is when the case won't easily enter or scrapes the ID of the seating die. Actual crimping isn't recommended for semi-auto rounds, but the flare is removed with a taper crimp die. I tell new reloaders to use as much flare as needed to seat bullets straight as it will be removed with the taper crimp die later. I have reloaded several thousands of semi-auto rounds and all use the same method; flare as much as necessary to get good, clean bullet seating, and remove flare in the "crimping" stage.

I'm only sharing my experience from a lifelong machinist/mechanic's background. I have been reloading for a long time and only started reloading semi-auto ammo in the early '90s and reload for 9 pistols from 32 ACP up to 45 ACP. I just share my methods and my experience...

+1 +1 Yup, what he said exactly !!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun”