Tube support hole too small

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
tlawler
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Tube support hole too small

Post by tlawler »

I’ve worked my way through decapping several thousand cases now, starting small and working my way up in caliber. I just tried setting up the APP for .41 magnum, but the rim of the case won’t fit through the hole in the tube support. Is there another tube support for .41 and .44 mag that’s available to purchase separately? I tried .45ACP and it slides through normally. I was thinking of taking my Dremel tool with a sanding drum and slightly opening it up a little. Has anyone done that?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Tube support hole too small

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm getting ready to set mine up for 45 Colt. I'll let you know what I find.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

See my comments in the "Decapping with the APP" topic.

About 1 in 20 7.62X39 won't pass through.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
tlawler
Supporter
Supporter

Post by tlawler »

The hole in the tube support is .480”, .41mag rim diameter is .482”, .44mag is .505”, and .45LC is .507”

The larger part of the tube support where the tube fits in is .570”, so there should be enough material left to hold the tube in place even if it is opened up to, say .510”, to let .45LC cases pass through.

GasGuzzler, I read through the thread you referenced and your comments. Did you follow through with opening it up? How is it working?
tlawler
Supporter
Supporter

Post by tlawler »

Ok, so I opened it up to .495” and that seems to be working well. I didn’t go any bigger because I’m not presently planning on loading .44 mag and .45LC, but probably will in the future.
tlawler
Supporter
Supporter

Post by tlawler »

I just finished running about 1K of .41 mag. Enlarging the hole in the tube support is a no brainer now. I’m glad I didn’t make it big enough to pass .44 mag because I had a few mixed in with my .41 cases and the smaller hole effectively screened out the larger cases before I got the works jammed up with a larger case trying to run it through the shell holder.

Return to “APP”