Am I the only one breaking these things?

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
mmb617
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Am I the only one breaking these things?

Post by mmb617 »

I've had my APP for about 4 months now and use it a lot resizing and expanding my pistol cases. I converted it to the roller handle and that made it much more comfortable to use, but I did notice what I consider to be a problem.

When sizing 9mm cases I find that I have to slam the handle pretty hard and I noticed it was starting to become cocked to the left. Looking closer I could see that the right side handle support was twisted. I disassembled the handle, straightened out the twist then welded a piece of bar stock to the side as a reinforcement.

It's kind of funny because when I got it I wondered about the durability of the plastic pieces but they've been fine, yet this is the second repair I've done to metal pieces.

Somebody's probably going to tell me that if I lube those 9mm cases I won't need to slam the press but the whole idea of the APP was to streamline the process. I don't want to add steps. I think it will be fine now.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Am I the only one breaking these things?

Post by horseman »

Lube those cases... There, said it, :D but I'm not the only one who will advise it. 9mm are a difficult to size case... period, on any press. Just use a spray lube of some type it doesn't add much in the way of time or "steps"....I've pretty much gone to lubing all pistol cases, just makes it easier on my presses and me. I haven't used my APP press enough to find any problems and only used it so far to de-prime a few thousand 9mm's and swage primer pockets. I haven't and don't plan on using it to size cases.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Same here, I lube the 9mm Luger cases.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

As per recommendation straight from Lee when I has problems with the bushing threads and they sent me the parts for free .... LUBE 9X19 cases. Throw them in a ziplock with a dash of the Lee/DRA mix found elsewhere on this sight, shake 'em up, pour 'em out to "dry"...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think if you sent Lee that picture, they would send you new parts. From there try it again with lubed cases. See if the problem reoccurs. Lee needs to see it.
Michael
mmb617

Post by mmb617 »

It's hard to say never but at this point I have no intention of lubing my 9mm cases. I'd rather modify the press as needed to withstand the added stress. The press itself works great and I actually like to tinker with things. My friends call me the king of overbuilding. I have a welder and I'm not afraid to use it. :D

We all know what they say about old dogs and new tricks and I'm definitely an old dog.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I ran nearly 10K dry 9X19 cases through mine before I had a minor issue Lee stepped up to fix.

It's set up for 7.62X39 now so you bet I've got them lubed. Took three minutes to prep them with a ziplok bag.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Looking forward to seeing more "fixes"........ 8-)
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

You could roll about 1/10 on a pad and get by . You might even spray lube them before and after you dump them in the feeder and just let whatever slickum' track it's way through . Using a spray lube of some sort a little snort in the sizing die when you're done or before you start might be enough . Once the die is lube saturated it doesn't take much to keep it "wet" .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

The only "lube" my handgun brass sees is the very fine film of auto wax from dry tumbling (except my 44 Magnum brass and they only get a dab of mink oil on every 4th or 5th case). I have reloaded 9mm on my old style Lee turret, a Lee Hand Loader, a Forster Co-Ax, and maybe on an old C-H single stage. Lee and RCBS dies and never had to "slam" or lean on the handle when sizing any brass. If I were having similar problems I think I'd look into my methods and components...

Return to “APP”