I broke it, but then I fixed it.

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
mmb617
My Press Choice: Single Stage

I broke it, but then I fixed it.

Post by mmb617 »

I was having a problem with the two allen bolts on the bottom of the columns the carriage rides on coming loose which then required me to unbolt the APP from my bench to tighten them. About the third time it happened I figured I'd fix it for good and apply some blue loctite. But I guess I got a little carried away in tightening them down while holding the rod from turning by using a box end wrench on the top nut which I managed to snap off.

I appears the column is turned down to 1/4" and then threaded for the nut so that point is kind of weak to begin with. It's my understanding that if I'd have sent the broken rod to Lee they would have sent me a replacement, but I figured I'd just fix it myself, thus saving time and perhaps making it stronger than before.

I welded a washer onto the top of the column and so far it's holding. I think I got good penetration so hopefully that part is permanently fixed.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: I broke it, but then I fixed it.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good work to get it operating, but I think I would have Lee replace the parts.
Michael

Return to “APP”