APP Swagging Kit

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: APP Swagging Kit

Post by horseman »

klr wrote:Is that 25 lbs of pressure at the handle? If so, hang 25lbs of weight on the handle and adjust the push rod until that locks the press?

Naah, that makes way to much sense. :lol: Probably why I didn't think of it. :oops:

Thanks Klr, good idea, I'll give that a try. Then like most will do I'll add a 1/2 turn juuuuust to be sure.... :D

O.K. tried the weight thing. Works pretty good, the ONLY issue is that to adjust the "rod" to get the 25lbs pressure is you have to do that with a case present. That in of itself is no problem but different cases DO take different "effort" to lower the ram to lock position so I'm not sure to set it for a "hard" case "easy" case or somewhere in between. So I did a couple different cases, adjusted till lock position.........and added a 1/2 turn :lol:
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Glad I could help. I'm hoping you guys get the kinks worked out before I get mine this week. :lol:
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Finished up running the 9mm cases I got from Larryw that I had deprimed and wet tumbled. Ran them through the swage die on the APP. Don't know how many but they filled two of those red 3lb Folgers coffee containers (doesn't everybody use those :? , I need to get some "proper" containers). Don't think I'll be needing to do any push ups for a while :D . It was quick and easy to do with no problems. Took two or three hours, didn't keep track. I won't know how good this swaging will do for priming on the Load Master until I start loading them and that will be quite awhile as I have a couple thousand 9's ready to go that need to be shot first and I'm still working on the 45acp so that's mostly what I'm shooting. That's the only primer pocket prep I'm doing to these cases for now until I see how they'll work. Doing this I was thinking it would be really cool if Lee offered a priming setup for this press for folks that prime separate from their reloading press. Seems like it would be fairly straight forward, sorta like the swage die with the spring with a primer cup instead of the "nub". Would be reeeeally fast.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm surprised priming isn't offered as well.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

horseman wrote:red 3lb Folgers coffee containers (doesn't everybody use those :? , I need to get some "proper" containers).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Jes take the labels off the Folger's cans put a label on them and you no longer have coffee cans, but "Red Plastic brass and bullet containers with built in handles". Works great for as cast bullet storage...
larryw

Post by larryw »

Sure wouldn't be my loading bench or shop without red Folgers cans, cool whip tubs
or butter bowls or, ??????????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Bagarocks

Post by Bagarocks »

I have the Swage kit and used it on my APP.
The 25lb thing, I just used my feel guage, Right arm and when it felt right I was good @ 25lbs er so.
If 18lbs swages then OK if 35Lb damages, I think this is why it says 25lbs. If ya read anything from Richard Lee he had great stories about people over exerting/applying undue pressures when operating Reloading equipt. So I didnt take the 25lbs as absolute just dont Crush it to death.
I swaged 40 S&W and it went smooth and fast. I have been swaging with the RCBS press mounted swaging, and it definitely was a muscle job compared to the APP swaging.
I did purchase the universal case feeder, then after seeing it I went and bought another for the loadmaster, keeping the old one in reserve.
Great little press, yea it has its quirks. What Lee Press doesnt???
I have done everything but Bullet size. This press has saved me time in preparation of brass along with ease of use.
I did have the 2 shaft bolts/columns loosen up other than that this thing perks along.
mdatlanta

Post by mdatlanta »

I'm replying to an old thread topic, but am hopeful there are folks out there who have experience with the LEE APP Swage Kit who see this and respond...

Is it possible to over-swage primer pockets using the APP Swage Kit and make the primer pockets too large? I'm hesitating buying one of these devices because I have a fear, probably unfounded, of quickly ruining a bunch of cases. Also, does the APP Swage Kit need to be adjusted for different case manufacturers and head stamps due to differing web thicknesses? Apparently this adjustment needs to be done to the Dillon Super Swage 600.

Thanks for any advice or tips based on your experiences.

I'm very happy this site is back in operation! It was frustrating to try to discuss LEE products on some of the other forums and get hammered for no reason.

Mike

Return to “APP”