APP Swagging Kit

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

APP Swagging Kit

Post by Ranch Dog »

There have been a number of questions about what is in the Swagging Kit, here's a picture of it. I did forget to add the 22 HD Guided Decapper back into the box.

When changing the swagger, one size to the other, do not forget to move the spring. I've done this twice and what happens is that you cannot get a case in the shell holder. If you manage to get a case in place, you will have a heck of a time getting it out. The fix is simple, disassemble the swagger's base, but you know how that goes in the heat of battle. Just move the spring back and forth with the swagger.

Don't leave the O-Ring behind either! If you, you will have a heck of a time getting the knurled knob loose from the pressures that this tool experiences.

Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: APP Swagging Kit

Post by horseman »

Thanks Michael, the swage kit is supposed to arrive here today. Will no doubt try it this weekend on 9mill as I have no 223/556 brass that has not already been done.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice!

I have my APP but not the swagging kit or the base plates or the extra brass or the feeder or the collators.

Oops. Looks like I ordered a collator from two different places.

Anyone need one?

+zzz +guns +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I have the swage kit but no APP. :lol:

I ordered the deluxe APP kit so hopefully I'll have everything I need. :?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:I ordered the deluxe APP kit so hopefully I'll have everything I need. :?
You will. You will get a single tube feeder and if you like that, you can consider the multi-tube feeder.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I think I have it figured out... :lol: The instructions had me running about with the O ring part, use it for this, no don't use it for this, use it for that. I'm thinkin' one thing, Lee's talking about a different thing, I can't make out the picture with the hands showing me "WHAT" :oops: then my "aha" moment, that's the BIG O RING they're talking about...(I actually wondered where that thing went) Told you guys I'm not good at reading instructions even with pictures of itty parts. I would have said it differently, "install the LARGE O ring only when using a regular shell holder"....I don't own a "universal shell holder".

I think a guy should buy an extra few of those O rings. :?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I remember being a bit confused about that.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

One other thing with the swage kit. The instructions tell you to lower the lever and screw the swage push rod DOWN until it makes contact with the punch. Then insert a case and screw the push rod UP up and keep adjusting UP until you can press the handle DOWN to it's "lock" position using 25lbs of pressure. :? (I actually adjusted it going DOWN until I was at what I consider 25lb's (?) of pressure at press lock). Just how hard do you press DOWN to get 25lbs pressure? I do a lot of push ups so I know what it takes to push 180lbs UP but I have no idea what the heck 25lbs DOWN is...I guess until something cracks then back off 1/2 turn........ :?

Any one know where you can buy a 25lb "lever torque bar"..... :lol:
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Is that 25 lbs of pressure at the handle? If so, hang 25lbs of weight on the handle and adjust the push rod until that locks the press?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, that is a goofy bit in the instructions, the Collet dies have the same 25 lb adjustment. All I could think to do is push down on a bath scale a number of times until I had a good idea of the force it takes. It really is not that much if you are used to working on the farm, ranch, or any type of heavy equipment.

I like klr's idea. I made a hanging weight by filling a tin can with melted lead and then holding a washered eyebolt in the middle until the alloy cooled. Eventually, I pealed the can away. I will see what that weighs. I use it on an electric game hoist to reel the cable back up when nothing is hanging. Without the weight, the cable fouls.
Michael

Return to “APP”