Primer Pocket Swage, .223 already sized?

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
acgeorge
My Press Choice: Progressive

Primer Pocket Swage, .223 already sized?

Post by acgeorge »

Just picked up my Lee App at Kempfs, $76 for the Delux and $35 for the Swage. Couldn't resist for that price. My primary goal is to swage 2000 5.56mm, which I already have Sized/De-Primed and Wet Tumbled. Reading the instruction, I see the statement "If you are swaging .223/5.56 NATO cases, you MUST use the included decapping die", which flares the mouth slightly?

Has anyone Swaged primer pockets without running through the flaring die?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Primer Pocket Swage, .223 already sized?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I think the problem is that the sized necks may be too tight for the swagging ram to fit comfortably. I used the APP to decap this bunch and I'm sure I have any sized brass that I could try but I'll look around the shop and see what I have.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think it would be a matter of how does and if the small primer pocket rod passes through the case neck. Have you just tried the fit? Of course, normally this work would be before a case is sized. If you have to use the .22 HD Decapper, set up your sizing die on the APP, lube the cases, and run them back through. With just the neck to be worked, it should be easy especially if you are using the case feeder.

Thanks for you idea of having a stand-alone forum for the APP, the unusual task of the press and activity support such.
Michael
acgeorge

Post by acgeorge »

I tried it last night. The rod fits resized necks, just barely. The Push Rod measures .220, I had to help with alignment, so the case feeder was useless. However, the swage was very uniform, even if I have to hand load.

For now, I'll run this lot through by hand. Next time I will follow the proper procedure, but these were already sized and deprimed, before I purchased the APP.

So far, I really like this little press!

Return to “APP”