Decapping with APP

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Decapping with APP

Post by GasGuzzler »

Well my APP showed up yesterday. The rest of the stuff should be in very soon. I am exited about reworking my bench...but I am back to regular work schedule so all these new projects will have to be done slowly over time.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great to hear that you are back to work!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:Great to hear that you are back to work!
Yes, we were guaranteed our average 90 day average production to work every other day from 3-25 until 4-22 which meant they paid me more than I produced for the 4-1 to 4-15 pay period (I am commission and made enough flag hours for the end of March not to qualify for assistance). This is uncommon in the new car dealer realm so shout out to the Glenn Polk family if RD allows such (if not just delete or edit my post). Until mid-week I had not worked two days in a row and got two three-days weekends since the end of March. Hopefully our County will open up soon (next week) as we have no current threat here. I realize this is in the ditch and may be too political so let it go away if need be (or move it).

Thanks for asking...sort of.

Stay safe y'all.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think it is great to hear that a business is taking the steps you outlined!
Michael
kaycee

Post by kaycee »

My APP arrived yesterday and I set it up quickly with the help from all the posts here. I mounted a universal decapping die as well as a case feeder from my 1000 in 9mm. played around with the gap using the 'coin' method until it would feed mostly correctly. I need to smooth out the slider a bit, as Ithe slider moves towards the shell holder it seems to be a little jerky, not smooth. Maybe it needs to break in a bit. Over the years I have shot thousands of rounds of 9mm. I like to deprime cases before cleaning them, and using the turret press I find it to be slow, boring and tedious. The APP will speed that process up considerably. I have a few other shellplates on order for other pistol calibers. So far I like what I see.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Got my app press on 7/6 from Titan Reloading. On sale with the automation packaged or $75.00. I love it!!! Since the 6th I’ve de-capped 12,000 cases! 9mm, 38special, 46acp, and 224/5.56. Outside of the odd 380 mixed in with my 9mm and jamming the case feeder, not one single issue! It’s the best investment I’ve made in a while! Can’t wait to size some Boolets! I spoke with Brenda at Lee’s customer service today about an issue with a safety primer and I made sure to tell her how great I thought the new APP press was. She seem to really appreciate it. She said it was nice getting a complement . In customer service she’s more used to people calling and complaining about something that they are Telling her how great something was.
Long, Wide, Deep, and without Hesitations!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I continue with mine without issue; decapping, Bulge Busting, and swagging. I was hoping bullet sizing would wait until the winter, but I think that I will be soon casting for my Hi-Point 4595 carbine.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Anyone try decapping and resizing 7.62X39 on an APP yet? I'm a solid two hours into trying to get my APP equipped with the Lee 4-tube case loader going.

I have several issues. Some are not the fault of the APP. Please give me your thoughts.

The main problem with the APP and this cartridge is most of them fail to fully enter the shell holder. This causes many other collateral issues. I narrowed the cause of the poor entry into the shell holder down to the red part that carries the shell is listing away from my (towards the press). This holds the base of the brass crooked against the shell holder and it sticks. Here are some pictures to help describe. Please let me know if you've seen this. It's leaning so much the jaws aren't even level. I have tried adjusting the tension on the two screws that hold the track to the press, the tension on the screw under the carrier, and the tension on the threaded plastic nub on the carrier. Ideas?

Another problem is not all of the cases fit through the black base of the feeder...the part with four identical holes. Some brass (about .450" at the widest point near the base) will simply not fit through while the rest (about .440" at the widest point near the base) fall right through. Most of the "fat" brass is Lapua but I found one other brand already.

I may consider "polishing out" what looks like a ridge inside the base on all four holes. Should not take much to get it to feed but what should I use? Maybe a 3/8" dowel wrapped with 400 grit and run with a cordless drill?

Finally...I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. If it is, it's likely not the fault of the APP. It was tough to picture but do these look like splitting necks? I've never split a neck on the shot or resizing (with exception of brass that was already crushed/damaged I tried to save). Sorry about the pictures.

Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Gas, I'm not seeing any splits in those cases. I take it these are unprocessed, take a close look with maybe a bit of magnification after sizing.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Same here, Gas, don't look like splits to me. Maybe a heavy factory crimp?

I've used the APP decapping 7.62x39 but had no problems with it. I'm not using it with the new bullet feeder, but with the old multi-tube feeder. I thought I would do another batch today based on this topic, but it is set up for primer swaging 9mm Luger. I started to change it out this afternoon, walked out of the reloading to do something, and never walked back in. I'll run some as soon as I can.
Michael

Return to “APP”