Decapping with APP

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Decapping with APP

Post by Ranch Dog »

Be working on odds and ends today. I had purchased the new Heavy Duty Guided Depcapping Pins so I have them installed in Universal Decapping Die bodies. No doubt they make the APP feed during decapping even slicker. I used an ⅛" stamp kit to mark the size of the decapper pin in the dies. I'm also using the "red" Spline Drive Breech Lock Bushings for the decapping dies.

I did have to use the small fingers on the case slider for the 25 Auto. I've had it apart enough that I've got the change out down. When the spare assembly arrives I will leave one for large bullets & cases and one small. No sense and taking this part back and for.

It moved right on through these 25 Auto cases.

Imageat

What was different about these is that the primers were live, I pulled all the remain cast ammo. Given the larger diameter of the bullet, the cases needed to run back through the reloading process. Primers collected nicely and already back into freshly loaded brass.

Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Decapping with APP

Post by GasGuzzler »

Have you tried the swager yet? I am looking into the 91582 kit but I need it for 9X19 and it says it comes with .22 and .30 parts ... no mention of 9mm. Also, what else do I need besides the APP Deluxe kit and the 91582 to un-crimp 9X19? I don't have anything that uses those threaded adapters, just "normal" press threads.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I think the 22/30 thing in the description is a little confusing, what I discovered with mine is that it really means small primer and large primer. You'll need the correct shell holder for the APP for your cartridge(s). Right now I'm using it for large lot jobs like de-capping and shortly I'll start on around 700 223 cases that need swagged. My case feeder and collator came in Friday and I hope to get it set up latter today. You might want to order a 4 pack of the breach lock adapters. The decapping operation and the swagging kit have them as needed. You can't use the feeder to resize as they say not to with the pass thru shell holder. I'm sure RD will have some additional insights.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

All I bought it for was to de-prime and then swage about 500 9X19 cases :) (so far) so I just need to know what else to buy. I don't have any presses that need those lock rings (bushings?) so I don't really know what they're for.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:All I bought it for was to de-prime and then swage about 500 9X19 cases :) (so far) so I just need to know what else to buy. I don't have any presses that need those lock rings (bushings?) so I don't really know what they're for.
Same here GG, except I'll de prime pretty much anything I can with it but primarily bought it for 9mm, 45 acp and 223 brass. I also ordered the swage kit (which I haven't received yet, two weeks) and RD assured me everything you need is in the kit except shell holders. If you bought the "full meal deal" to start with, one of the shell holders that comes with the press will fit the 9mm case. The top of the press accepts the "twist lock" bushings but you don't have to have one for every die you use, you can just screw and unscrew dies into the one that came with the press unless of course you're like Ranch Dog as I'm sure he has them color coded with a different color for each caliber series and a dedicated Universal decapping die for each caliber as well. That guy is nuts, but don't tell him I said so..... :lol:

I agree the description you get from Lee on the swage Kit is somewhat dubious as to what all is there... :geek:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm guessing Lee discontinued the plain kit (90951) as I can't find it on their site and Midsouth Shooter Supply has it on clearance for $54.88.

Seems like I remember something about the feeder ... something else to buy??

Also, what is the difference between Lee 90600 style rings and the Lee 90063/90042/90095 style rings?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:All I bought it for was to de-prime and then swage about 500 9X19 cases :) (so far) so I just need to know what else to buy. I don't have any presses that need those lock rings (bushings?) so I don't really know what they're for.
You will need at least the Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings (#90600) in order to use standard dies with the APP.
GasGuzzler wrote:I'm guessing Lee discontinued the plain kit (90951) as I can't find it on their site and Midsouth Shooter Supply has it on clearance for $54.88.
I can see why Lee discontinued the plain or just the press. Not a lot of utility without the stuff that is included in the current kit.
GasGuzzler wrote:Seems like I remember something about the feeder ... something else to buy??
It speeds all features up, bullets or cases.
GasGuzzler wrote:Also, what is the difference between Lee 90600 style rings...
The 90600 is just the bushing. If you are going to remove your various dies rather than using the breech lock system to change dies, this is all you need. This is how I use my Challenger press (RIP with the APP). A lock ring could be added to the individual dies so that they don't need to be adjusted each time they are threaded into the bushing.
GasGuzzler wrote:...and the Lee 90063/90042/90095 style rings?
These have the lock ring machined into the bushing. Once set up, easy in and out.[/quote]
GasGuzzler wrote:I'm guessing Lee discontinued the plain kit (90951) as I can't find it on their site and Midsouth Shooter Supply has it on clearance for $54.88.
I can see why Lee discontinued the plain or just the press. Not a lot of utility without the stuff that is included in the current kit.
GasGuzzler wrote:Seems like I remember something about the feeder ... something else to buy??
It speeds all features up, bullets or cases.
GasGuzzler wrote:Also, what is the difference between Lee 90600 style rings...
The 90600 is just the bushing. If you are going to remove your various dies rather than using the breech lock system to change dies, this is all you need. This is how I use my Challenger press (RIP with the APP). A lock ring could be added to the individual dies so that they don't need to be adjusted each time they are threaded into the bushing.
GasGuzzler wrote:...and the Lee 90063/90042/90095 style rings?
These have the lock ring machined into the bushing. Once set up, easy in and out.
horseman wrote:I agree the description you get from Lee on the swage Kit is somewhat dubious as to what all is there... :geek
As horseman went on to say, everything that is needed to swage large and small pockets is included in the kit. All you need is the specific shell holder. The APP uses X-Press Shell-holders. It can use the traditional Lee Shell Holders with the Universal Shell Holder Adapter. This Adapter is included with the Swagging Kit.
Swagging.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:
"regular shell holders can be used with the adapter". This Adapter is included with the Swagging Kit.
"the adapter is included with....." did not know this, thanks, I was going to order one of those. I think (I) have the bushing(s) figured out, I"M thinking at this point a couple of the regular bushings is all I would need. However, do the two dies that come with the swage kit have the lock ring bushings included (or any bushing)?, if not a couple of the lock ring type would be nice to have for those. Like GasGuzzler, all I intend to use the press for is removing primers and swaging primer pockets so the two (probably only the small one for 223) dies with the swage kit and a universal depriming die is all I will use with it. Are we (GG and I) missing anything here RD? I'm asking as you seem to have a pretty good handle on what's what with this system.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, the swag kit has the bushings on the bits that need them. Set mine up last night and got started on a bunch of 223 cases. Still need to fiddle a bit with the auto case feeder and collator.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

So does it have a case feeder and collator with it or is that separate?

Also thought there was a better collator than the Lee one ... ?

As far as the breech-lock stuff goes since I use my dies in the LCT and the single stage as well, all I should get is a pair of bushings...oh wait, doesn't the APP come with one? Ugh - so coRnfused.

Return to “APP”