APP working with Load-Master

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

APP working with Load-Master

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is what I hoped! I took a couple of handfuls of 45 Auto "range" brass that has been sitting in a box for years with the intent of sending them directly from the APP through the L-M. My primary purpose here was to see how the primer seating stage of the L-M performed without primer pocket prep. I've found that the pocket prep has ended all issues on my four of my L-Ms. The detailing of those pockets is time-consuming.

The feeder (case or bullet) and the pocket swagging tools are what sold me on the APP press, so with that in mind, I filled the feeder tube. The brass had been washed with dawn (to remove surface debris) and then deprimed years ago.

The cases fed very fast through the swagging die. I had a few "chocolate" cases, weathered cases, and with these, you could see that the rim of the pocket ends up with a very narrow-angle across the edge. Not a full bevel like I've been applying. An additional benefit of this process for the 45 Auto is that the swage cannot enter a small pocket. There has been a recent conversation about the small primer cases and how they can lead to a L-M stoppage. No foul with the APP, I slid them off the shell holder and into the trash. The two handfuls of brass ended up being 35 cases.

I dropped those cases into the tubes of the L-M and started to cycle them through the press. Every one of the cases accepted a nicely seated primer without any effort. It was over almost as fast as it started. I've never had that happen with once-fired factory ammo brass. I pulled the cases as they moved into stage #3 (powder charging), as I wanted only to feel the primer seating action. They all felt like the same case.

The APP press is the best thing that has ever happened to the Load-Master!
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: APP working with Load-Master

Post by horseman »

Now that is good news. I did order one (you had a bit to do with that Michael)after the last thread on the APP press and for the same reason(s) but it's on back order and doesn't show until late next month I believe. Happy to hear it's doing what you/we want. BRASS PREP. However I haven't really had any problems with primers with the 45 acp brass I've been using (except for the $&%*++ small pocket ones that slip through) but it (APP) will become part of the process when it arrives.

Another issue I have on the LM (any progressive really, but a bit more with the LM) is change in OAL. On some of the "test" rounds I've been loading for the 45 auto are getting up into the plus P arena and I've been running them through the LM up until bullet seating and crimping and have been doing that on a Single stage to keep the OAL as close as possible, within a couple thousandths. I've ordered a couple turret stabilizers from Mikes Bench to see it that will take care of the variance. I have used them before on a couple other LM's I've had but was using them mostly to "clock" the die plate (turret) but I don't remember how well the over all length was controlled. Those should be here today so I'll check them out this weekend. Also ordered up a few things for the 1911 but that will be another subject matter..... +guns

Return to “APP”