223 to 300 BO

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

223 to 300 BO

Post by farmerjim »

I am converting 1,000 once fired 223 brass to 300 BO. The Lee APP press is a great tool in this process.
The first step is resizing the case with the de-primer removed from the die. The cases are all lubed with lanolin oil mixed with isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle . The universal case feeder is loaded with the 223 brass, and the cases are resized as fast as you can pull the handle. They are then cut to a few thousands longer than desired on a mini chop saw.
Then back to the APP with the de-primer/ expander rod reinstalled.
Again this is done as fast as you can pull the handle.
The cases are then trimmed to final length with a worlds finest trimmer that is chucked in a HF mini lathe.
This takes only a few seconds per round. The cases are then chamfered and debured with a deburing tool chucked into the lathe.
These are all mixed brass, and about 75 % need the crimp removed.
Back to the APP with the swage kit.
I run all the brass through the swager as it is faster than separating out the commercial.
Back to the Lathe with the deburing tool to clean up the primer pockets.
The brass is then cleaned in the FART, and dried in the convection oven at 200 deg F.

There is one last step as I have not separated out the headstamps that will have too thick necks.
These are removed and the necks turned down to proper thickness.

This is a long and time consuming process, but it is made easier and faster with the Lee APP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 223 to 300 BO

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great report, good to hear the APP can handle it!
Michael

Return to “APP”