Trouble with Bullet Sizing Kit 91532

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Trouble with Bullet Sizing Kit 91532

Post by GasGuzzler »

Is this all it's supposed to come with?

If so, how do you attach the bottle? Instructions say to use "the bottle apapter" but it doesn't show what it looks like, doesn't come in the kit, and didn't come with my APP. I can't find it on Lee's website either.

Watched some YouTube videos where the speaker said to install the "bottle adapter" which is a black anodized threaded collar I've never seen before and cannot find online. If I search "bottle adapter" on Lee's website, this is what they show.

Well I have that but that's not what my instructions, online instructions, or YouTube says is the bottle adapter. And if I had the threaded part mentioned in the instructions and shown on YouTube it would have nothing to thread into. The size die does not hang below the bottom of the piece it fits inside (breech lock bullet sizer insert) like it does in all the images I can find.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Trouble with Bullet Sizing Kit 91532

Post by horseman »

Hey GG I'm far from an "expert" on the APP, I have one but only used it so far for depriming. The bottle is held on a breech lock using a lock ring inside the cap. At least that's how mine works for depriming. I think. :lol: How the rest of that sizing stuff works I don't know, but looks to work the same way. I know, not much help but I'm just sitting here drinking coffee and wanted to "chat" a bit before getting back to kitchen "rennovation". :x You'll get it figured out, I've seen some of the stuff you work on... :shock:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Figured it out.

1) There are two different items referred to as "bottle adapter". One is what Lee is referring to in the instructions and it's half of the two pieces that come in the kit but the picture is TERRIBLE on tiny paper inside the kit. The other is some weird black part in the videos I've never seen and don't need.

2) My kit's breech lock bullet sizer insert wasn't made correctly. The final ID at the bottom where the die is supposed to pass through and out the bottom was 0.0015" undersized not allowing either of the dies I bought to clear. 11 swirls with 400 grit on the ID of the aluminum breech lock bullet sizer insert allowed the die to drop down, clearing available threads to allow the part figure out in 1) above to thread on.

After all that I had to ream my sizer because all I could get was .308" and I needed .310". I used a 5/16" drill bit inserted into the chuck backwards and toothpaste to slowly bring the ID of the die out. Once that was done I realized there was really no reason to buy any of the sizing stuff for the APP because it doesn't speed up installing gas checks anyway ... and GC bullets are generally the only ones I size. :oops:

Oh well, I started two new projects at once and got through it. First PC and APP sized/GC'd Ranch Dog designed .30-30 bullets ready to load.

Not to toot my own horn because there are thousands of people that make their own bullets but to know I started with free wheel weights I had to sort, smelt, flux, cast, powder coat, size, and install gas checks ... the pic above is really cool.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Ha, knew you'd figure it out. Those bullets look like they will work seriously well. Nice. I haven't cast a bullet in over three years. Maybe much longer, don't really remember. It would appear as though I may have to start up again considering today's climate. I have a couple hundred pounds of clean ingots and my casting pot is about half full from it's last session. I have a couple hundred pounds of wheel weights sitting in buckets in the shop that I can't bring myself to sorting and smelting. Casting isn't something I enjoy doing much anymore.

My Pard, LarryW (and fellow member) sent me some molds a few weeks back (just remembered that) so maybe I'll fire up the pot and cast a few just because of his generosity in doing so. Thanks Larry.

Return to “APP”